Old fart needs help with speakers and power req's

I'm not an audiophile,just a guy who loves music. I'm trying to build a system with about $7,000. I'm thinking of 4,000 for speakers. After reading thru the specs in stereophile buyers guide 2010, I see the NAD C375BEE (int amp $1300) as my benchmark for power vs money (it's actually less than $1 per watt). In other words I can't spend much more than 1300 on power. So now that gives me 150 wpc to work with. So now to the speakers; my only real requirement is they sound at least as good as what I've got now. And here's where you guys will get a good laugh.
I've been listening to the same speakers for 35 years with the same power and source for 25. They are (you ready for this) 4 JBL L100's (yes 2 on left and 2 on right) driven by a Yamaha A700(int amp 100 wpc) and a Sony PS T3 turntable.
My listening room is only 12x14 open at one end.
So where is the question?, there are two, what in your opinion are the best speakers (I know this is subjective) I can get for 4000 or less that will actually "sing" at 150 wpc, and a kicker, could I get away with less power if I went tube (realizing with tube I can only get about 60wpc-Jolida $1300)? And last but not least I would rather stay away from sub-woofers if I can, I'm not even sure where they came from; of course with 60 inches of woofer in my living room I may not be able to. I hope I've not been to confusing here I've never posted on anything before. Thanks for your help.
I laughed when I read your post...but not for the reason you thought! The L100's were and still are outstanding speakers although I'm sure your original foam covers have deteriorated by now and you're probably running them with nothing in front to the speakers. You can certainly replace them and get different sound...but you might well find that in a blind test, the JBL's sound better than many/most of the newer speakers.

I would not replace them...I would add a subwoofer like the James emb-1200 which is very musical (it's fast and doesn't boom). I would spend my money on replacing the amp...maybe a used NHT Power 5 or ATI 1505 and I'd buy a good preamp/processor that could handle 4 speakers plus the sub well....many choices here.

Don't confuse old with not good. AR3a's and JBL L100's were wonderful speakers. From what you described, your weak link is the Yamaha unit.
oh..I forgot. If you do want to sell those antique old speakers, send me a note....I'd be willing to pay the shipping to take them off your hands...:)
Post removed 
You are proceeding in a way guaranteed to lead to disaster. First decide what kind of sound you like. Then see what kind of speaker provides it and what it takes to drive it. Consider buying used, you get much more for your money. Your room is not large, why are you using 4 speakers? I laugh when I read the last post, I go WAY back beyond the time of the speakers he recommends, ARs time had ended by the time the 3As came out and JBL was famous for making speakers with an exaggerated midrange that sounded good in the show room. IF you really like the JBLs get a better power amp and try using one pair. You won't get so much of a "wall of sound" effect but it will be much clearer. DO NOT buy anything else till you have a clearer idea of what you are trying to do, you may well be throwing your money away.