old Aragon vs new

I believe there is cult following of old Aragon 4004, 8008 from before 1990s. How are the current aragons different?
samuellaudio

Showing 1 response by fjd6523

It is great to get a take on the old versus the new Aragon amps. Currently I own a couple of 4004s and a 2004 dispersed into separate systems. I am in the process of putting together a 5.1 system with Aragon amplification across the board and basically adding to my 2 ch system. A 8008x3 is on my radar screen which could be pushed to the front LF-Center-RF or pushed to the back LR-center-RR and letting the 4004MkII continue in the front L-R speakers in all its glory. I have heard from knowledgable sources that the 8008x3 is superior to the 4004mkII and should be driving front speakers (perhaps it runs deeper into class A). I do have enough amps to go around now but would lose 2ch amplication in another room. Either way I would continue to enjoy the Aragon sound. If anyone else has any comparisons with the 8008 vs 4004 series I certainly wouldn't mind hearing about it. I am running an older Classe preamp DR-5 that mates quite well with the Aragon amps and still looking into a permanant solution for the prepro side. I will be using my Denon 3805 as a pre-pro for the time being.

I would say "cult following" is accurate.