OK, I made the leap...

Now that the kid is grown and gone (boo, hoo) I’ve decided it is time to get back into analog. I’ve been into this sport since; hum, ah, 1967, how ever long that is. I’ve had 500-600 albums, (I’m not going to count), that have been in storage since 1989. I know that year since that was the year my ex and I split the sheets and I managed to escape with the vinyl.
Anyway, I went to a used stereo store in Seattle today and purchased a used (old) turntable and a cheap phono pre, and I am like a kid in a candy store. I literally had not even looked at the albums since they were packed and stored years ago, in spite of moving several times. Holy crap, I’ve got a lot of good music. In spite of all the smoke and booze, I really did take good care of these albums. Yahoo. While I’m having a blast listening to my old stuff, it does not sound as good as my digital setup. There just seems to be no bottom end, and kind of a harsh top end. Sounds like an old receiver with tone controls that someone had turned the bass all the way down, and the treble all the way up.
Now for my question; how much do I have to spend on a table/arm/cart/phono pre setup to at least match what hear with my CD player? I do now, especially after listening to, and looking at what I’ve got, want to get back into vinyl, but not just as just a novelty. From what I’ve read here and other places, I should be able to have this sound as good or better that CD’s. All reasonable help/suggestions will be appreciated.
My system is as follows: (I can’t seem to make the virtual system thing work today)
Speakers: Osborn, Grand Monument Reference
Amp: Redgum RGH900
Pre amp: Consonance Reference 1.1
CD player: Sim Audio Moon Eclipse
Table: Sansui SA 4050C
Phono pre: God knows what it is.
Cables: Analysis plus, Harmonic Tech. Some other things I can’t remember.
bnc

Showing 1 response by c123666

A brand new Scheu Cello with RB250 can be had landed for about 1200 with warranty from Germany. The much better Premier II, which will accept 12" length arms, with a Scheu Classic Unipivot 12" arm was quoted as 2200 US delivered.

The Scheu Premier II is the one that inspired the Teres tables which are regarded as quite good and up there with the best tables. The Scheu must be considered in that category. Hard to beat either one at their price point. For just a bit more money than a new VPI Scout with arm you can have a much better table/arm system.

Other good values can be found with the Sota refurbished tables although were I to spend 2 large I'd go for the Scheu and never look back.