OK folks, what the best pre for under 10,000?

Excluding "statement" preamps like the new Naim pre that I'm sure is wonderful, but was never really designed to sell, just stand as an example for the rest of their "trickle down" line. Or the Levinson #32 at, what is it? $15,000. Also, must be a relatively newer model. Examples: Levinson 380S, Pass Labs X1, Bat , audio research, your favorite ______ ? And, if your feeling verbose, why you feel that way.
sjh32

Showing 3 responses by ritteri

The best pre-amp is one that does not color the sound or detract in any way. On this note Id go with anything from Pass Labs.
To follow up with what Kenscollik stated on skipping the preamp altogether. I also have a Wadia 861se which basically bypasses the need for a preamp it does save alot of money, and deletes the need for an extra pair of cables which to me is an even better route altogether. BUt I only have 1 source and a minimalist setup. Other folks have tapes,records etc, something the Wadia doesnt solve for. For me it was perfect, for others its not.
I also thought digital volumes had some question marks too. But the Wadia's volume control is probably the best preamp you could even own, especially if your only using digital sources. Its output uses both balanced outputs along with single ended, and allows you to best match up the output voltage with the input voltage range on the amps being used. The idea behind the volume is to set the output voltage range so that your listening volume is in the top 3rd of the output volume so that you dont lose any defenition. This actually gives a pretty large volume window from soft to relatively loud. But even in the bottom 2/3's with the output voltage set improperly I have yet to hear someone legitimately say they hear information loss, its just no the case at all. As for Wadia sounding dry. Just buy one and send it to GNSC for the ultimate statement upgrade and you can have the most musical sounding preamp/cd transport period.