Ohm Micro Walsh small vs. tall

I have the 2000 on order and with John's advice ordered the (wall mount)short Micro Walsh's for surrounds. My couch is against the wall, ear height is about 42"

How do these things look on the wall, is this likely to be a(WAF)problem?, dimensions are: 6Wx7Dx12H.

John reports that the bass on the wall version is less than the floor speakers, so a sub is a must, particularly with surround music. I know I can return them, but since I only ordered yesterday I could change my order for the floor Short or Tall's versions. Can anyone give me some advice, and share experience/opinions about the 3 options?

Main concern with the shorter floor speakers is that it will sound muffled being lower than the couch. I'm currently using Maggie surrounds and they are at ear height and are very detailed.

One other thought: if the wall mounted speakers are the best solution, how high should the bottom of the speaker be above ear height?

Also, based on what I've heard, a center speaker isn't required. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

John
jfriswel
I can't comment on the wall version, but I had the Micro Walsh Shorts (which are 22" tall) and have also heard the Micro Walsh Talls at my friend's house. The shorts do loose a bit of low end to the talls, but not much. I believe the wall mounts loose even more in the low end as they are shorter still. Both those I've heard have similar characters and are fun and engaging. I used the shorts as desktop speakers for my computer and they were great for that purpose. They disappeared like Caspar, even in nearfield. WAF? I guess it depends on the wife and on the decor you are trying to blend them with. They looked fine to me and I'm pretty picky. They are nicely finished (mine were black and my friends are cherry. They do require some power to sound their best. In my case the shorts sounded better with 100 watts than they did with 50 so the extra 3db of headroom helped (different amps to be fair though). Most folks who are using them as dedicated speakers choose the talls for the fuller range. In researching them I could find very little input on the short versions.

Hope that helps.
John,

I have a home-theater set up that uses the full-size Ohm 100S3's for LCR, a half-size sealed omni version of the 100S3's for left and right surrounds, and micro-Walsh shorts (not omni's) for the rears.

As far as your questions, ...

WAF: I do not have the wall-mounted versions, but my wife thinks that the micro-Walsh's are cute. Also, hearsay says that WAF is highest for wall-mounted speakers.

Wall v. Short v. Tall: I am assuming that you are going to play movies, so that you will need a subwoofer (even if you went entirely with 2000's). You will have more flexibility on the crossover point as you move from wall to short to tall. The other consideration has to do with the fact that your couch is against the wall. This means that you are relying entirely on your surrounds for rear envelopment. The short/talls might give you more flexibility in placement as you try to get the right sound. For example, I think that omni's disappear better when they are out from the wall a bit.

Muffling: This is more important for music. In home theater, as I understand it, surrounds and rears are used mainly for short-duration localized sound effects and diffuse ambience. My understanding is that film-makers do not want those speakers to produce sounds that will induce listeners to turn their heads away from the screen in response.

Height: For movies, most recommend that your set up support the reasoning given above in muffling. The majority suggest that tweeter level be at least one foot above ear level, but I have seen people say to put speakers on the floor and fire upwards, to fire them into corners, etc. I have my surrounds and rears up on furniture so that they are about 1-2 feet above.

Center Channel: I am of the opinion that a dedicated center channel speaker is preferable to phantom imaging. If you are going to use phantom imaging, you can't beat Ohms because of their wide sweet spot. Still, I have found that phantom imaging tends to make it seem as if someone's mouth is several feet wide. I also think that dialogue is more intelligible when given its own speaker.

Finally, remember that Ohms are not the "loudest" speakers out there. This means that you should not expect to be able to play at reference levels (105 dB non-LFE peaks) even with gobs of power; if you try, you'll just burn up the super-tweeters. I find that -10 dB's is about all I can hope to get for a listening position about 10-11 feet from the mains.

Jax2

You know, I wondered if you'd recognize me. Holy cow, do you have a posting history!

Right now, they are being used as rears until the eleven-channel wide-and-height receivers/processors come down into my price range. I know it's overkill and their placement does compromise the disappearing act a bit, but they do integrate much better than my previous mismatch and I like the consistent look.

Still, I like them so much that I may take them over to my office and amaze my friends and anger my enemies with the Casper trick.