Ohio - Over the Rhine

I lived near the Pennsylvania/ Ohio state line when I was 16. It was a profoundly emotional time of my life… 1968. I grew up in Chicago and only spent a year and a half in a very backwards part of the country. I lived out West since I have was 18 years old.

When I first heard the tune Ohio, I just could not move. The emotional impact just overwhelming. Since then, many years ago… one of the most moving songs… to me… and albums.

So, I have a ripped version, the streamed version, and the CD version. I got wrapped up in listening to the album, at first, my stored file (see my systems), then streamed, then CD… I ordered the vinyl… this is interesting. They are virtually identical. But I did notice a very slight more forward presentation on the CD version… very slight, on my system… which is everything. But the emotional connection… the warmth and musicality is the same.

Systems can be like this now. Such a minuscule difference… but with the same deep emotional connection… a great time for audio.

ghdprentice

@ghdprentice I'm hard pressed to think of another band that has as many "evocative" songs compared to Over The Rhine; so, you reaction is totally understandable. My favorite from that album is "Lifelong Fling."

@mitchagain

Thanks for your comments. They can leave me completely breathless… yes, Lifelong Fling is wonderful.

Neil Young’s Live at Massey Hall, Crosby, Nash, and Young’s Four Way Street, and Sarah McLcLachlins’s Fumbling Forward… and a few others do the same.

Plaintive lyrics, well done.....

Traveled a bit around this country, saw a lot of small towns and burgs that fell into those words, slowly withering as the ones with a clue drifted away if they could.

-------------

Some decades back, spouse and I took a road break to stretch legs and the map (yeah, those paper things...*L*)....

A couple of cars in the crossroads corner dirt lot....nothing else around for the  miles we'd covered.  Out of the distance a small bus pulls up, dropping off a half-dozen folks who said little as they got into cars and left into the other directions.

We puzzled at the name on the bus, an obvious shuttle, paused one of the riders, a younger woman....

"Hi, what's the name of the bus mean?"  It's a local mine we work at.

"Mining...'k, what for?"  Beryllium....gets used for rockets, nose cones mostly....

Kinda slow these days, we need a war to pick up production.... Have a good day...

She drove off to us standing stunned by her wish...

How many then and now feel that way?  Are they happier now?

How many Ohios' are there, tucked away in the expanse.....

great band with a significant depth of excellent work. Tom is an avid player of them..over on the turntable thread….

Ohio is a great place to be from….. i was…

on format convergence….not new…some of us with a significant investment of energy in LP, high speed tape and digital know this…. the virtues of all three while not identical are very apparent. Bringing joy and emotional connection is the ordinate goal - so glad you are there… 

One of the greatest parts of being on AGon, is learning of new to me Music.

Thanks @ghdprentice for sharing!

More to discover