Octave Audio V70SE tube recommendations

Hey there!

just recently jumped into the vacuum tube gear. Purchased a V70SE, Looking to start tube rolling, and wondering any of you octave owners can provide some recommendations for tube replacement. I currently have stock (4)  JJ 6550 output tubes, and just installed drivers tubes w/ (1) RCA 12ax7 1950’s black plates and (2) RCA 12 au7 old stocked matched. Current system sounds a little bright or tinny. Perhaps tubes need more time to break in? (About 20hr so far), or I need to replace the output tubes. currently have dynaudio heritage specials, Linn LP 12 and DSM for streaming.  looking for a little warmth and a bit more bass ( would like to avoid a subwoofer), w/o losing detail. Mostly stream when playing background music, then switch to vinyl for serious listening. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Best

JSing

jsinga2d2

You'll get warmth and some good detail from the RCA blackplates. They need more burn-in, in fact the entire amp needs burnin time if new. A bright sound with a lack of low-end often means it needs to be run-in. You may also find the JJ's aren't for you, but give them some more time.

I prefer Gold Lion KT-88's in my V70SE over the 6550's. I agree that you need some more time on your tubes.Don't be in a hurry to start changing things.

Congrats, great amp. I agree with lowrider on burn-in. I started with the V40se went up the ladder and now have the V70 Class A. Your heritage specials could benefit from the Octave Super Black Box which improves bass response and grip. I personally am not a fan of JJ’s. In terms of warmth look to Mullard or Amperex. Either way you have a fantastic match with the Octave/Dyna.

Some good advice here from @tpreaves ​​​​@lowrider57 

I agree that you need some more time on your tubes.Don't be in a hurry to start changing things.