Objective Review of the ModWright Pioneer LX800

Earlier, I promised to share an objective review of the ModWright modified LX800 BDP Blu-ray player I ordered from ModWright Company owner, Daniel Wright. After a couple of months search, I had a review commissioned with David Mackinnon. He and his team have done over 450 reviews of audio gear.

The MW unit is compared with an original brand new LX800 unit. And with another upgrader, The Upgrade Company. The review is done and I am very pleased to make a copy available here. I hope you find all the information here useful to your future decision-making around upgrading. I specifically asked for the section explaining measurements from David. It’s intended to be educational and I hope you find it helpful.

My sincere thanks go to the David MacKinnon for his patience and persistence.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wjkbzvtl-HR4i42ma4XOfrxZI5IwHBpV 

128x128johnread57

Showing 4 responses by johnread57

Thaluza thanks for your feedback. The note on tube type is well taken I’ll update the doc soon.
Thaluza the report report includes testing and listening notes for an untreated LX800 as a benchmark. It’s a winner actually...
In the system with the LX800SE I am using a Marantz 8805SE as preamp into an ARC D240 MK II SE powering my PMC MB2SE. Sounds excellent too. Plans to update the preamp may or may not come to fruition.