Nuforce STA200

I am curious about the Nuforce STA200 amplifier  If anyone has experience with the amp it would be appreciated if you would share your listening impressions, both good and bad.  Some of the descriptions I have read classify it as a class AB amp and others a class D amp.  I am not technical savvy about these things, can a single amplifier be both? 
Thanks
George
jetter

Showing 10 responses by jeenam

I purchased the STA200 a few months ago based on feedback from users of this forum. Speakers that I've used with the amp are PMC OB1 (6 ohm, 87db) and Alta Rhea (4 ohm, 87.5 db) and the amp barely gets warm with either.

For $500 it is a ridiculous value. I love the fact it doesn't turn into a space heater and doesn't take up a ton of space. At the price point, there probably aren't many amps that can compete with it.
A few weeks from now you might be convinced there's nothing at $500 that can compare. It is an amazing value.
Can't help you open the case.

My purchase of the amp was necessitated when one of my monoblock amps blew out. I was looking for something that was relatively inexpensive that would hold me over until I could figure out whether I was going to purchase something in the price range of a Bryston 3BSST, Simaudio W3/W5, etc. To my surprise the damn thing sounds as good as others have commented and with my modest apartment it drives speakers as loud as my neighbors can stand.
Check pictures of the Job 225 and STA200 again. They use the same circuit board with different caps, resistors, etc. The power transformers and RCA jacks are also different.
It is well documented that the STA200 is a scaled down version of the Job 225, which is based on a Goldmund reference design.
Don't bother with the Jolida Tube fx Mk3. I had one and it isn't a good value. I'm running a NAD M51 and am very happy with it for the price I paid ($650 used). Chord Mojo are a great value at current used prices.
The STA200 doesn’t have specs provided for 4 ohm output because the transformer limits the power output, plain and simple. The same thing goes for the Job 225 which the STA200 is based on. The output into 4 ohms cannot double with either amp because the transformers cannot supply enough power, hence the 4 ohm output is nearly identical to 8 ohm output.

This can be verified by reading one of the Job 225 reviews on the net (I forget which one exactly).

Also, as others have mentioned, I listen and judge with my ears, not my eyes. You will find numerous people who bash REL subwoofers because of their poor measurements, but ask folks who actually own and use REL subwoofers and they will tell you they are the bees knees.
I'm running the STA200 with PMC OB1 (87db 6 ohm) with a NAD M51 as the frontend and have no complaints. The amp will drive the speakers louder than my neighbors would be willing to stand.
@daseldin - Currently using VH Audio Pulsar Cu RCA Interconnects. Vampire Wire also makes good reasonably priced interconnects.