Nuforce STA200

I am curious about the Nuforce STA200 amplifier  If anyone has experience with the amp it would be appreciated if you would share your listening impressions, both good and bad.  Some of the descriptions I have read classify it as a class AB amp and others a class D amp.  I am not technical savvy about these things, can a single amplifier be both? 
Thanks
George
jetter

Showing 16 responses by brad1138

I just bought one from Audio Advisor, and shortly after, the listing changed to "Demo" model for $400. Looks like I might have got their last "non demo" one. :)
I had to sell my Mark Levinson #331 a few days ago (I needed the cash...) To "replace" it, I bought a like new Vincent SP-331 off CL for $600 and this, I am going to sell whichever one I like less. 

I have been running the Vincent since yesterday, it is nice, but I am really missing my ML  :(  

If the NuForce is as good as you say, hopefully it will be closer to the ML...

If neither do it for me, I may sell them both and look at the new Class A amp from Schiit when it comes out. 

I am running a pair of Tekton Lore-S speakers and have a Schiit Freya pre.
Those are certainly some nice speakers, if it was "good enough" for those, I will probably be happy :)
Have one on order from Signal Cable. Reviewed very well for under $100 PC. 

I also picked up a Proceed BPA2 (on its way) I really miss the ML and I am hoping it will be a somewhat close match. Between the 2 amps, I am sure I will be happy :)
OK, installed and running, just a couple hours on it...

WOW, for $500 this is incredibly good. Everything above that was said about this amp is true. 

I need time to really sit back an assess it, and I want to let it burn in a bit  before that. But initial impressions, great bass extension (much better than the Vincent SP-331 I tried, and better than my B&K reference 200.2 from my other system) unbelievably transparent, fantastic imaging. Deep sound stage.

Running with upgrade but generic 14 gauge PC currently.

:) :) :)
It is a great amp, and it found a home in my 3rd system running a pair of Wharfedales Emerald 97 mk IVs, but it was beat out by the Proceed BPA2 for this system. 
I also have a Freya, I could not use the Tube stage with the Nuforce, very loud hum/static/hiss etc. I actually can't use the tube stage with any amp, in my 12' x 13' x 8' room with 93 dB efficient speakers. Nuforce's high gain made it even worse than other amps I tried. 

I found I like the passive mode best anyway though. 
MrD, thanks, the Nuforce was dead silent in the Freya's passive mode. 

Some early production Freyas had a lot of tube noise, but if I send it back I may just get a "that's normal" response and be wasting my time... 

I have decided for now to just keep using it in passive mode. 
How does it run so cool? It is almost cold to the touch, even under load... Are we sure it is class AB?

MrD, in the small room with the Proceed (Turntable room), I never listen above about 80 dB at sitting position, usually closer to 70 dB, so it never got any kind of workout, probably running at less than 1 wpc. Running my Wharfedales downstairs in an open area of around 10,000 cubic feet, I had it running at a moderate level (my wife would say loud) filling the entire area for hours and it was lukewarm at best afterwards....

Just weird, never had an amp act that way.
Mesch, I am running my Nuforce with a FLAC server->Schiit Modi2 DAC->Schiit SYS pre and a pair of Wharfedale Emerald 97 MK IV spks, and I am very happy with the overall sound. 
Stuff- I searched and searched for someone that has had both the Vidar and the Nuforce, never found one. There is someone on "superbestaudiofriends" who posted he had both on order over a year ago, but he never chimed back in with his thoughts/comparison.

I bought the Nuforce, so I am going to believe it is the better amp. ;)
I tend to not put much stock in reviews when people take a fantastically reviewed piece of equipment, and say, "but look at these measurements I came up with"..... Especially when it is a lone voice.