nuforce Ref 9 SE V3 vs wyred 4 sound STI 1000

Has anyone compared these two amps? I am not interested in comments on other amps. Just anyone who has A-B compared these two leading digital amps. Thank you.
jspar

Showing 3 responses by inpieces

Never used or heard Nuforce in my own system, but i've had W4S STI-1000 fitted with high end fuses.
I used the STI in two systems, with sorted PC's and IC's.
I decided to try JRDG C-500 or W4S separates. I went for the C-500 which is way more expensive than the STI.
The C-500 is more refined and in a sense calmer in it's way of coming on. It is smoother but at the same time more detailed. It has better 3-d (depth). In direct A/B with STI-1000 (PS Audio high end fuses equipt), the STI sounded slighly forced, sharper and more pronounced in the top end. This affects the whole tonal spectrum.
I suspect the PFC-1 unit, inbuilt in the C-500 has alot to do with the results. Oh, PFC is a Power factor correction unit.
For tech spec, look at JRDG's info page.

The W4S is a good amp and i agree it offer much for the money.
However, changing powerchord(s) and/or platform etc, can not do what the C-500 do.
Even though, it helps. I would, if trying diffent fuses, try Furutech instead of PS Audio.

I expect, next step (upgrade) would be Vitus SS-101mk2 (;-) or darTZeel CTH-8550.
Or JRDG Corus + 625. These are completely other prices though:-(
I have heard from a friend, doing A/B of C-500 and Mcintosh MA7000. The MA7000 is quite good, but it can not match the 3-d and transparency of C-500.
Talking W4S amps, when is the Ref series expected to be released?
Hi Noelpastor,

i don't think it's sensitive in the way of night and day.
I guess due to the PFC-1 unit inbuilt in C-500.
It is small shiftings. If compaired to my Wadia, the Wadia is perhaps 8/10 and the C-500 2/10.
I think it was almost same with other feets/damping/isolation devices. Wadia needs careful matching with PC and damping. It can yield very different results.
I think you are pretty safe what the PC you have.
Better work with IC or loudspeakers wire/ cable, if you find need of anything!?
If anything, i would avoid bright sounding PC's.
I did find the PS Audio Perfectwave AC-12 to work splendid.
I also would like to try the Lessloss PC's out of curiousity;-)
If i would spend more money on anything, it would be acoustics. We have a pro company building (reworking) operahouses, studios and super high end demo rooms. They are just a few miles away. It is completely awesome to hear a more closely linear room. Had i an own house or apartment, i would begin at that point. Rather spend money at good units and cables and money at acoustics, than extreme amounts at just gear. You will not be near what they can accomplish with mediocre acoustics.
Cables changes do good things, but when you look at a graph over a room and the peaks, dips etc. Well, you soon realize cables for big amounts is plain silly when the room interacts too much.
I have my room measured. It is ok, but if i would start from scratch, i would do things differently.
A almost perfect environment, with a good system compaired to a not so good, must be heard to be realized.

My cables works very very good in my system.
I think all units are working nice together. Acoustics, even if good, is not the best.
My speakers were mearsured also. They measure very good.
The company told me straight off, one client in another country had same speakers but a completely reworked room.
It was awesome they told me. Many speakers are good, but some are much more expensive.
He told me not to change speakers and also told me of a few very costly speakers which was almost same as mine when measured.

A dream would also be to buy PMC MB-2i, and send them to TG-Acoustics for a completely custom rework. New filters measured and made directly after that specific pair, new connectors and internal wire. MB-2 is a killer as is IMO.
I would like to build a system around those in a reworked room. Also, MA will release a Ref speaker 2012. It will cost somewhere near 3 pairs of PL 300. But my guess it will be extremely good.
In my opinion, PL 300 is very good if you work around it a bit. To just have a chance with either MB-2 or the Ref (when it comes), with new electronics etc + the room custom built. Oh, that is one dream to wish for:-)
Do you still use the C1?