Nottingham Spacedeck vs Rega Planar 8 vs Technics SL1200G

Hey Everyone,

An analogue newbie needs your advice.

Firstly I am not looking for any TT recommendations other than these 3.

My system is Devore O96, and the amplification would be either Lyngdorf 3400/Coincident Frankenstein combo or a Shindo pre/amp combo (forthcoming). The phono stage is TBD.

The sound I like is rich, full-bodied, with a good bass (I love percussion, and the double-bass instrument and  Mingus is my fav jazz artist). I am very sensitive to even a hint of brightness. I don't care about the typical audiophile presentation -- gobs of detail and soundstage but no soul.

My music of choice is jazz, vocals and small-scale instrumentals. No rock, no pop, no western classical.

Would love your thoughts on these 3 choices.

Since I am a newbie, easy setup is big win, which might tilt me towards the Rega or Technics, but with Nottingham I have a great dealer support that I would completely miss out on if I went with Technics (no Technics dealer in a 5000 mile radius).

I used to own a Rega RP6, so am familiar with Rega sound, and like it. But my RP6 was bested by my DAC (AMR DP-777) so sold it a few years ago. So I want a TT that will compete with any sub-10000$ DAC.

Looking forward to your thoughts that will help me scratch my analog itch.

essrand
Thanks Audiofun.

It is really valuable input especially from a AMR DP-777 owner who understands where I am coming from.

Your post more than anything is now making me consider the Technics (even though I have to buy it out of the country, no Technics dealers here).
essrand:

Glad I could offer something to the conversation that you found useful. I did just listen to a SP10R in an Artisan Fidelity plinth with a Schroeder CB1-L arm :) that was quite nice. The bearing only had about 300 hours on it and I’ve found that motor structure to require 700 hours for full run-in. I may start a thread with my impressions but don’t want to hi-jack this one. 

I think the 1200G is just now starting to get the respect it deserves. It really is a table that one can run a +$5k cartridge on and with the commensurate phono stage build a startling good analog rig around. What I’m saying is that to get more table, you are going to have to spend quite a bit more and the usual suspects that people like to mention in the same breath as the Technics AINT gonna cut it!
If anybody is moved by this thread to buy RP8, today I got an email from one of the big music direct retailers offering about a third off the price of them. Cheers,
Spencer 
So, I received the Oracle mat and the Project record weight for my Technics SL1200G.  I found that the whole presentation is enhanced with the bass being much more solid.  My question to Ralph or others, should I remove the sticky backing on the underside of mat and stick to my platter or leave the covering on?  I'm afraid if I stick the mat down, I won't be able to easily remove it if I need to remove the platter.  What do you guys and girls think?