Nottingham Spacedeck vs Rega Planar 8 vs Technics SL1200G

Hey Everyone,

An analogue newbie needs your advice.

Firstly I am not looking for any TT recommendations other than these 3.

My system is Devore O96, and the amplification would be either Lyngdorf 3400/Coincident Frankenstein combo or a Shindo pre/amp combo (forthcoming). The phono stage is TBD.

The sound I like is rich, full-bodied, with a good bass (I love percussion, and the double-bass instrument and  Mingus is my fav jazz artist). I am very sensitive to even a hint of brightness. I don't care about the typical audiophile presentation -- gobs of detail and soundstage but no soul.

My music of choice is jazz, vocals and small-scale instrumentals. No rock, no pop, no western classical.

Would love your thoughts on these 3 choices.

Since I am a newbie, easy setup is big win, which might tilt me towards the Rega or Technics, but with Nottingham I have a great dealer support that I would completely miss out on if I went with Technics (no Technics dealer in a 5000 mile radius).

I used to own a Rega RP6, so am familiar with Rega sound, and like it. But my RP6 was bested by my DAC (AMR DP-777) so sold it a few years ago. So I want a TT that will compete with any sub-10000$ DAC.

Looking forward to your thoughts that will help me scratch my analog itch.

essrand

Showing 6 responses by essrand

Wow! Thank you for all the responses.

I definitely prefer the analogue sound more than digital (the reason I liked my AMR DAC was that it was very analog sounding). But digital is important for me since most of the music I listen to cannot be found in analog.

@miguelca, yes I have heard such stories about Nottingham's customer service as well.

Pear Audio would be a no-go since no dealers nearby. Technics too actually but heard so many good things that I have been tempted (also heard its easy to setup).

Assuming I choose the right cartridge (a big if.....as this might be a journey in itself), which one would be the least thin-sounding (aka most full bodied) esp when it comes to strings (violin, double-bass, sitar, mandolin, flamenco guitar etc).

I am so far based on your responses leaning towards a spacedeck.

Should I get a ace-space arm or are there better tone-arms for this TT?
thanks @jdodmead for the reference to the old thread.

Looks like I will stick with the ace space arm then.

Apparently the best cart to start with then is the Nagaoka. Too bad a starter Koetsu wouldn't fit this arm, it might be the sound I am looking for.
I feel like someone like @jdodmead who's owned the table I am looking at, his opinion matters for sure, especially cause I am looking to buy a table that I will not change for the years to come.
Glad to hear Koetsu works.

@inna got it, will not bother about changing tonearms, esp for a noob like me who hasn't even changed a cartridge that sounds like silly way to start the analog journey.

What's a good starter cart, that I will not outgrow too soon? Based on someone's reco on this poster, a Nagaoka Mp-500 seems like a front runner for this TT/arm.
@fsmithjack

I know that you are a big Bricasti M1 fan.

How does your P8/Apheta compare to your Bricasti?

My Rega RP6 was almost bested by my DAC (AMR DP-777). So decided to move on from Rega and wanna try NA this time.
Thanks Audiofun.

It is really valuable input especially from a AMR DP-777 owner who understands where I am coming from.

Your post more than anything is now making me consider the Technics (even though I have to buy it out of the country, no Technics dealers here).