Not liking the new Mac Mini 2018 sound

I recently got the new 2018 Mac Mini to replace an old Macbook Pro and am considering returning it. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried it in their system. Maybe I got a lemon and I need to try a new unit?

I'm using the i5 / 8GB / 256GB, 2018 Mac Mini to stream iTunes and Spotify (via airplay - AEX series g - Toslink or direct connect via USB) to my Peachtree Dac.it that's feeding a vintage McIntosh system.

When I A/B it against my 2017 Macbook Pro, I lose a lot of detail and staging. The lows from the Mac Mini is sloppy and rounded with the mid's sounding thin.

I also A/B'd it using headphones and IEM's via audio jack and get same results. In fact, the Mac Mini sounds worse than my iPhone XS - how's this possible?

Would be interested in anyone else's thoughts who may have similar set up. I love the Mac Mini form factor and bought it with the idea that I would add RAM and external storage as needed. But the lacking sound output quality (maybe its the T2 chip that's causing the issue?) is a deal breaker.

mindaddy

Showing 1 response by s1nn3r