NOS DAC Warmth

Hi 

It is my understanding that in general NOS DAC's have a warmer smoother SQ then over sampling  DAC's

My question is if I match up a NOS DAC with a warm and smooth tube integrated amp would the SQ be too warm and obscure the nuance (details) of the recording ?

OR

Would the 2 combine and present the recording in a warm lush way with the microdynamics largely in place ?

Thanks
Bob

bokat57
Hi Thanks for your submissions !

But I guess what I am asking is : can an amplifier alter the sound characteristics of a source component ( in this case a DAC ) to some small or large degree.

Example  It is my belief that my warm sounding tube amp improves the sound of my DAC by injecting some warmth to the overall presentation.

I was wondering if the above statement has any validity to it :
Would a warm amp and warm DAC cause the overall presentation
to be too warm ?

Thanks
Bob

Adding distortion, such as poorly designed tube devices, can add warmth. This is a Band-Aid at best, masking distortion by adding more distortion of a different type. Kind of like using cables as tone controls.

It is better to rid the system of distortion that causes harshness, such as jitter from digital devices and poorly designed preamps that add distortion and compression for example.

Not all tubes add warmth BTW.  Well-designed tube circuits are every bit as fast and clear as SS devices.  This is mostly a function of the power subsystem and the tube selection.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

"Adding distortion, such as poorly designed tube devices, can add warmth. This is a Band-Aid at best, masking distortion by adding more distortion of a different type. Kind of like using cables as tone controls."

No It is not a poorly designed tube amp. It is an excellent tube amp !
All components have a sound signature. Some are warm & lush some are analytical & lean and some are somewhere in between that does not mean that they are poorly designed. It is about what type of sound the end user prefers.

"It is better to rid the system of distortion that causes harshness, such as jitter from digital devices and poorly designed preamps that add distortion and compression for example."

???

"Not all tubes add warmth BTW. Well-designed tube circuits are every bit as fast and clear as SS devices. This is mostly a function of the power subsystem and the tube selection."

Some years back I bought into the idea that a stereo system had to be completely transparent and accurate. So I bought an expensive (for me anyway) system. It was a tube amp and SS pre It was so quiet that with no playback and you turned up the volume all the way you heard nothing.

This stereo was so clear and transparent that when I played my cd’s it would reveal every flaw the recording contained. With an excellent flawless recording the sound it presented was breathtaking no doubt about it. However in my cd collection there were many cd’s that were not recorded to that high standard.

To make a long story I have changed my thinking on the matter and have decided I prefer a less accurate less resolving presentation. I have found that now all my recordings are easy to listen to. The stereo I have now at a third of the cost to my ears in my room sounds far more musical and is definitely more enjoyable.

Thanks

Bob

One thing I forgot to mention, but as a number of products offer both oversampling and non-oversampling, with them comparing the two becomes as easy as changing the channel on your television