Non fatigueing speaker under 1500

I'm looking to purchase a non fatigueing speaker under $1500. I'm very sensitive to hardness and glare. I'm searching for a set up I can listen to for hours without draining me.

System is Aragon 4004 mkII fed directly by a Theta Miles. Speaker cables are Sumiko OCOS and interconnects are MIT PC Squared. Electronics are plugged into a Tice Power Block.
Room has little furniture and hardwood floors.

Under consideration are:
Vandersteen 2CE Sigs
Meadowlark Swift

Thanks - Jack
gooddomino

Showing 6 responses by gooddomino

Thanks to all for the input! I was curious if my amp would be mentioned as a possible culprit. I did have a chance to listen to the Swifts today. When played through a Rogue 88/99 Magnum and Sim Moon cdp the sound was better than with Parasound SS/CDP but.... I was not impressed. Still a little too much in my face and the bass was there but did not boogie. I really wanted to like the Swifts for many reasons,price,size and looks.

Maybe I need to look at bigger more expensive speakers. Maybe I need to listen to very "tubey" sounding tube amps/pre. Am I learning digital just doesn't cut it.

Currently I'm leaning towards the Vandy 2CE Sigs. They are larger than I wanted to go. I've heard that ARC and Quicksilver amps drive the Vandies well. What about Rogue amps? How much tube power would be necessary.

Thanks Again - Jack
Dan -I owned Vandy 3's for 10 years. They were just too big so I sold them. They also gave me fatigue at higher listening levels and just not enough detail. I then purchased Thiel .5's. Great detail,I heard things I never heard before on my CD's. They just couldn't "jam" and when trying to jam they became fatigueing fast.

I heard that the 2CE Sigs had the 3A's tweeter so they might further reduce fatigue. It looks like I might need to just do the best I can at this price level.

Jack
Cellorover - Meadowlark is coming out with a Kestral II. Might be more to my liking.

Jack
Asa and Rg - I see a pair of Proac 1.5's on sale now. Is the step up to 2.5's that significant. How much tube power do they need? Any certain brands?
Jack
Angela - Thanks for the input. I usually listen at normal volume levels and occassionally like to jam. It's like a sports car that goes 140 mph,won't always use it but nice to know it's there.
Thanks for all the input. I've decided on PSB Stratus Silvers or Bronze. They are forgiving,have a small footprint and are reasonably priced. Many good future options were presented for when the speaker upgrade bug hits again.
Jack