Non fatigueing speaker under 1500

I'm looking to purchase a non fatigueing speaker under $1500. I'm very sensitive to hardness and glare. I'm searching for a set up I can listen to for hours without draining me.

System is Aragon 4004 mkII fed directly by a Theta Miles. Speaker cables are Sumiko OCOS and interconnects are MIT PC Squared. Electronics are plugged into a Tice Power Block.
Room has little furniture and hardwood floors.

Under consideration are:
Vandersteen 2CE Sigs
Meadowlark Swift

Thanks - Jack
gooddomino

Showing 2 responses by audiokinesis

I'd suggest a used pair of original Quad ESL's (the "57's") as among the most non-fatiguing speakers at any price, and if not Quads then Maggies.

Boxiness is a subtle but persistent source of listening fatigue, and it's fairly expensive to build boxes that don't sound like boxes. So in your price range, if non-fatiguing is the primary criteria, I enthusiastically recommend dipoles such as the Quads or Maggies.

The Maggies are more much forgiving of listening position, while the Quads are a bit more forgiving of speaker position. The Quads like low-power (usually tubes), and the Maggies like fairly high power. The Maggies don't really come to life at low volume levels like the Quads do.

On the other hand, if you gotta have boxes, the Vandies would be a good choice.
Jack -

Angela100 brings up a good point - your amplifier. In my limited experience, the Aragon amps have generally sounded dry and edgy.

Any chance you might give tubes a try?? For about a grand plus the proceeds from selling the Aragon, you could get the tube-friendly Swifts and a nice, warm little Jolida tube integrated to drive 'em.