Node 2i vs Cambridge 851N question

I have been streaming Spotify and Qobuz through a Node 2i and Orchid DAC. I have had a very difficult time discerning a difference between the two streaming services on a consistent basis. I recently purchased a Cambridge 851N streamer/DAC and was shocked to hear a radical difference between Spotify and Qobuz. Spotify sounded much worse and Qobuz sounded better. Has anyone experienced this? I can understand Qobuz sounding better, but why would Spotify sound worse than with the Node?

jrimer

Showing 2 responses by jrimer

I am running the Cambridge with no external DAC. I have not tried the Orchid with the Cambridge because, honestly, it sounds fabulous as is. I felt the sound through the Node 2i and Orchid were about as good as I could get. It’s the whole disparity between Spotify and Qobuz that has me stumped. Spotify through the Node/Orchid sounds better than the Cambridge, but Qobuz is much better through the Cambridge. 

Even without the Orchid, I had a difficult time telling what was Spotify and what was Tidal (at the time). I purchased a LUMIN D2 a couple years ago and returned it because I could not hear a noticeable difference between the Node 2i and the D2. I was a staunch critic of DACs sounding different. Now, I’m not so sure.