Nobsound springs - load range

I want to try out the Nobsound springs as damping footers (mainly under my mono blocks and my streamer). I ordered a first set of them and now I wonder about the amount of springs to put in for different weights of equipment.I remember one post that said it works best when 50% compressed (was it @millercarbon?).

I measured the compression of the springs, it takes ~2.5 kg per spring to compress it to 50%. Based on 50% compression target, this yields the following sweet spot configurations (only stable ones, total equipment weight):
- 3 units, 3 springs each: 22.5 kg
- 4 units, 3 springs each (or 3 units, 4 springs each): 30 kg - 4 units, 4 springs each: 40 kg
- 3 units, 6 springs each: 45 kg
- 3 units, 7 springs each: 52.5 kg
- 4 units, 6 springs each: 60 kg
- 4 units, 7 springs each: 70 kgLoad can be considerably higher than expected (somewhere I read about 36kg, which is presumably for 4 units).

Any comments?What about ~10 kg streamer, seems to be too light to compress the springs enough? Does anyone have experience with Nobsound springs under light equipment like this?
Based on your experiences: Would you even dare to put an 80kg floor standing speaker on Nobsound springs?
hm9001

Right folks, a little update on the Nobsound experiment under the DAC. This one is a lot trickier as the component is rather lightweight at 15 lbs. I started with 3 footers with 1 spring in each, all in direct contact with the chassis. The springs aren’t compressed enough and the sound got worse. So I did the unimaginable. Guess what, I am now on 2 footers with 1 spring in each. One would think how the component would be stable under 2 footers. In reality it isn’t but the set up is unique since the power cord(which is a very stiff cable) is lending some pull to the DAC which keeps the stability intact. The component is in a near perfect horizontal plane although there’s only 2 footers below it.

Even with 2 footers @ 1 spring each, the gap is rather high at ~7mm (50% compression). This is the maximum compression that can be achieved as it’s impossible to support the component with 1 footer.

Very interesting observations with some very positive results but I still need more time to determine if the 2nd set of Nobsounds will get to stay with the DAC on a long term basis. The Nobsounds are currently up against Finite Elemente Spider footers which use ceramic balls as a form of isolation. So far I would say there’s a difference between the two but will see if it’s significant enough to swap the FEs out for the Nobsounds. I could live with either as the sound quality is already great with either one. More reports later.

Before I wrap up, I have to say that the addition of the Nobsounds to each component in the system has added something to the sound. If I could find the simplest way to describe it, I would say the Nobsounds make music sound more analog. Less digital. They add more body to the sound which makes music sound fuller. If the set up is done correctly, you get this improvement without losing dynamics and bass weight. Otherwise, the sound will get soft and mushy, sounding lean, thin and 2 dimensional with reduced bass response.

In a thread *** Specifically *** to discuss  Nobsound Audio products the usual suspect starts **** Pedalling **** a competitors product 🙄

I'm sure the Townshend Pods are great and superior to the Nobsounds, but at their current prices they only fit higher end systems. They may cost more than the component that they would be supporting in modest or budget systems. 😁

On the other hand the Nobsounds are rather affordable and people can buy several sets to support all their equipment if they want. 😉

@tweak1 Well, I started pulling springs out late yesterday with 3 springs/ 3 Nobs under the Oppo first (decent improvement).

The streamer/DAC I was talking about is also an Oppo105 (heavily modified: clock, improved XLR output stage, IEC inlet, LPS, fuse). The  best result I get with the Nobsounds is 4 units with 1 spring each, springs dampened with ear plugs and bores lubricated with PTFE spray. On the left side the springs are more compressed (as the transformers are on the left). Since I cannot further reduce the number of springs, I will maybe try with some weight on the right side.

@ryder Guess what, I am now on 2 footers with 1 spring in each. 

Have you tried to stick with 3 units and put some weight on your DAC to reach the desired compression?

Have you tried to stick with 3 units and put some weight on your DAC to reach the desired compression?

No I haven't. Will need to find something suitable to be added as weight. That will come later.