no difference between 4k meridian & 400 DVD?

hi,

i am really starting to doubt this whole damned industry. today, i tried a little experiment. i burned a copy of my favorite k. jarrett CD. i put the CDR into my 508.24 and the original into my 2-year old sony DVD player. i cued the players up simultaneously and did an extensive A/B for about an hour.

guess what? the differences in sound quality were so minor as to be almost inaudible. if anything, the 508 had SLIGHTLY better response at the frequency extremes and SLIGHTLY better dynamics. i'm not sure if i honestly could tell them apart in a double-blind test.

i always believed my main system was fairly transparent. meridian 508 CDP & 502 preamp, bat vk-75, AZ silver reference IC's, decent copper speaker cables (forget what kind), avalon arcus speakers. the IC connected the DVD to the 502 is cheap audioquest copper. i am using a monster hts-5000 power conditioner with vibrapods under the front end and BDR cones/pucks under my amp.

given that the 508 COSTS 10 FRICKING TIMES MORE, i wanted to hear a major improvement over my cheapo DVD but there just wasn't one. my ears are fine...for example, i heard substantial improvements after installing the pods and especially the BDR cones. so...wtf is going on here?
s2k_dude

Showing 1 response by aknorth

I started out with some very modest gear. Would add something here somthing there and it just sort of grew. B&W 803 speakers, seperate amps, better player all seemed to be OK. However I was still runnig a receiver as my PRE-AMP, just using the pre outs. Then I purchased a true PRE-AMP. Did no shopping no trying to decide, Just got it (liked how it looked). Took it home expecting to maybe hear a slight gain, but really not expecting much change as evering thing had been real slow (so far) no real thoughts on what I would hear. Installed it and turned it on WOW I mean night and day, Just unreal sound.

The point here is that I knew the sound I had been listening to, but what I heard now was not expected. I knew then and know now how much better it was, no guessing no looking no thinking, what I should here (did not know enough).

In all test that will have any meaning you need to listen to the samething while you are reading, walking around just setting, get to know it by heart and I mean by heart. Then change one thing and one thing only. If you do not know it within the first few minute (this is better or worse), then there is nothing left to say.

I have found that no swithching back and forth waiting for OH what did I hear will ever work. You just start looking to here somthing second guessing what you hear or what you want to here.

I firmly believe to many people spend way to much time chasing a never ending circle of what they think they should hear.

I once came in from a day of being out in the wild country (in Alaska) and being right on top of some totally wild bears and a person said boy you are excited, with out thinking I said if I wasn't it would not have been worth doing and it would be time to quit.

This stereo quest is the same if you can not hear, feal it move you or find the difference, you have lost the excitement of it. Hopefully you will not get tied up in the never ending chase and not be able to just hear what is there.

When you reach a point you are spliting hairs. If it does not move you, then a person has to decide, what am I going to do with this. Me I choose to let it be, as what it was time spent. I will know when I here the next thing that really grabs me until then enjoy what you have. You must have like what ever it was that got you to that point.

By the way my system has grown to a fairly complete system. CJ LS16 MK2 Pre-Amp, Jadis JD-1 Transport, Jadis JS1 MK2 DAC, Sony 9000ES Lexicon MC-1 B&W 801N front mains and 804N rears, HTM1 Center and SCM8'S side speaker, great cables most of the Misc conditioner and such. I am real happy with it.

However as a hobby I will try that next item. I just will not be trying to make it a matter of it has to make it better. I will either like it or will not. Then I will sit back and listen to the ever so great sound I have Until something else jumps out at me.

When something gets OH SO GOOD (to your likes), big changes are much harder to find.