NHT 3.3 vs Mirage M3si

Assuming similar price and physical condition, which speaker would you choose given:

1. Listening area: 1400 sq ft carpeted basement area, speaker location will be adjacent to brick wall. listening will be enjoyed from seated position central to speaker focal point, but will also be appreciated as ambient sound throughout the location.

2. Preferred music: is diverse, from rock to jazz to classical. Hard hitting bass is appreciated, but so is a great sounding tenor saxophone or violin.

3. Current setup: Adcom 5800 amp (2 x 250wpc @ 8ohm), matching adcom pre amp, adcom cd player

4. House contains small children and I am slightly concerned about one of them toppling a mirage m3si due to its seeming high center of gravity and narrow foot print.

Please let me know your thoughts, as i would like to have context from you knowledgeable and experienced folk as i will have limited audition time and in listening areas that are quite different from mine.

Thank you!
sm_76

Showing 2 responses by zd542

I would definitely go with the Mirage.

"he Mirages are by today's standards dark sounding, but I think of them as very natural sounding"

They addressed that issue with the si series.
"Sounds like consensus is for the mirage m3sis. Considering they go for 700-1000USD these days, what other speakers should i be looking at?
Sm_76 (Threads | Answers | This Thread)"

That's a really good price for those speakers. The NHT's will wear on you. They're smaller and easier to place, but they can be hard to listen to for long periods. As for other options, I'm partial to Vandersteen. The Model 1 & 2's compete favorably with the NHT and Mirage. The Monitor Audio Silver S8's and the Spendor S5's, are excellent as well.