Next best exponential DAC quality level?

I recently did a shoot out of three DACs using my Hint6 + routing each of the other DACs to analog input on the Hint6:

(1) Hint6: ESS Sabre32 -- Integrated 

(2) SMSL M500: ES9038PRO D/A   ~$400 

(3) Khadas ToneBoard(v1): ESS ES9038Q2M - ~$99

I played the same song passages on Amazon Music and was able to cycle through each Hint6 input corresponding to each DAC.

The result?  Very small difference in terms of rendering.  Maybe a more open sound stage with better overall balance using the Hint6 DAC.  The Khadas was more bass / midrange pronounced w/ a more narrow soundstage.  However, I wouldn't suggest that any were head-and-shoulders "better" over the others.  In fact, they were all pretty decent with only small nuances (certainly not worth the price differences.   

I decided to keep the Khadas for my small headphone listening area. 

But it got me thinking - how much would one have to spend to realize an exponential difference in quality?  Is the Khadas that good, or is DAC technology differences more nuanced than I originally thought (meaning, we're paying 10x for only 5% better).  

128x128martinman

I didn't say there's no difference in sound quality. I said once a DAC has reached a certain point they will basically sound the same. For instance a MHTD Pagoda injects enough distortion to have a sound signature. The problem with the DACs all sound different crowd is they have never controlled for bias or level matched properly. I have listened to a lot of DACs , some fairly cheap,  some expensive and one thing I've learned over the years is price does not necessarily equal performance. 

@arafiq  I also have the Hint 6 and am using it's DAC- the ESS Sabre32. I am still fairly new to higher end audio and I am going to dedicate myself to digital. I am streaming Qobuz hardwired through a Bluesound Node 2i. My speakers are Dali Opticon 8. I prefer the Parasounds DAC much more than the BS Node DAC by a wide margin.

No matter how much I read I have been unable to decipher what makes one DAC better than another. I understand the concept of things that cost more generally tend to do so because they are better but in the case of DACs what are the metrics? What am I looking for spec wise? Specs matter more to me than name. Also out of the DACs you named and are using which do you prefer?

Post removed 

I didn’t say there’s no difference in sound quality. I said once a DAC has reached a certain point they will basically sound the same.

No. Just...no. That’s like saying once amps reach a certain point there’s no difference. That’s just stupid. There are many different architectures in DACs just as with amps, and they all have their own sound characteristics. This is just an ignorant statement.