Newbie questions RE: Technics SL-3200

Hello everyone!
I am the new owner of a Technics SL-3200 turntable that was given to me by a friend who is moving. Along with the player came a large collection of records, mostly Jazz.
While I know this player is not terribly high-end, I'd like to make the most of it in concert with my modest sound system. I'm would like some sound advice from you more experienced folks on how best to procede on a tight budget.
My only decent pieces of audio equipment are a Rotel RA-971 amp and a pair of speakers that were built for me by a friend using GR Research 5.5" drivers and Scanspeak tweeters. They sound nice to my ear, anyway.
1) I will need a phono preamp to make use of my turntable. Which units would you recommend for someone on a modest budget? (sub $100 used, if possible)
2) Will a new sub-$50 cartridge make a noticeable improvement in sound quality on this turntable? If so, what cartridges would you recommend for classical and jazz?
3) Finally, since I know nothing about record players, how should I adjust the anti-skate and arm weight? Is there some objective way to find the "right" settings without special tools?
Thanks a bunch for your help!
Mika
mwaller