Newbie Question: Why is turntable volume so low?

Hi,

I'm a newbie trying to get back into analog. Over the last two months or so I've purchased the following components from the boards here and on ebay:

Mcintosh MX120 pre-amp
Mcintosh MC205 amp
B&W 804N main speakers
Denon DP A-100 turntable

The speakers are bi-wired, and I'm using the balanced input / output connections for the left and right speakers, as well as the unbalanced (RCA) connections to / from the amp / pre-amp. The turntable is connected via RCA cable to the aux/phono input of the pre-amp.

The issue is that when I play back a digital source (CD or DVD) the system is LOUD at a volume level of 20 (and sounds great). When I play the turntable, the volume has to be turned up to 40 - 50 just to get it close to listening levels (and sounds just OK).

Please tell me I didn't spend all this money to get back into analog and have it sound so disappointing! Any tips, tricks and / or advice? I'd really appreciate any help I could get.

Thanks!

Bill
bill_chilian

Showing 2 responses by rodman99999

That turntable generally is equipped with the DL-A100 cartridge, modeled after their DL-103(.3mV output). As Minkwelder mentioned; Low Output MC cartridges require a phono preamp with sufficient gain(around 60dB). When you obtain one(phono pre): don't plug it into your Phono input, or the signal will be processed by two RIAA EQs(unless that feature is defeatable on your preamp's Phono/Aux input).
As Mr B mentioned; A good step-up X-former would be another way to go, without lowering the performance of which the table/cartridge combo is capable. What would be the point of buying a table listing for $2500.00, that comes with a cartridge, optimized for it's arm, and installing an entry-level transducer? The DL-A100 cart, lists for $500.00 by itself, and performs comparably with other MC carts, in that price range. The Denon 103 family of cartridges, had very nice presentation, imaging and sense of the recording venue. ( http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/mc_step-up_transformers_explai.html )