Newbie question - equipment with good resale value

Hi,
What are some brands and models that have a liquid market in them?
I have a system (a cdp, integrated and two speakers) that I am somewhat happy with. At the same time, I would like to try turntables and tube amps. However, I don't want to make large investments. Rather, I would like to buy used equipment and sell it if I don't like it. Yes, I made some trips to the local audio stores but they have limited number of choices, they are are all expensive and are all similar to each other.
What are some brands of turn tables, integrated or separate tube amps that you would recommend I can buy and try without loosing too much in the transaction?

Regards,
katie617

Showing 1 response by buconero117

BlueBook has been mentioned as a reliable source of information on resales. Retail dealers do not use BlueBook in calculating trade in values. As 'Rrog' mentioned, it is a shallow source of information. I have found the 'book' over states the values, significantly. For the major brands the general rule on fair used value, assuming a fully functioning unit that is less then ten years old, is 80% of the original MSRP (sales tax excluded) less 40%. This translates to $480 on a MSRP of $1,000. Once the unit is over ten years old, every year older would add an additional 5% discount, per year. Many dealers follow these rules in calculating trade in values. If the unit you are buying is not local and can be picked up/checked out, the cost of shipping the unit to you should be deducted from the calculated value. But in the end, value is always what someone would sell, and what a buyer would pay. It is called 'market capitalism.'