Newbie Analog High Expectations??

Good Afternoon,

I am considering jumping into analog with a my system. I have Magnepan 1.6s. I will be adding a Rogue Perseus preamp to use its HT bypass with my Integra 9.8 and Sunfire amp.

I am thinking of adding a turntable, must people agree a Rega P3 is the best entry level model. This will go along with my Squeezebox Duet. I want to buy classic jazz LPs and build a collection.

Since I want to buy used to save money, could I be disappointed in the analog sound compared to the digital I am used to? I hear everyone rave about LPs but I continue to be skeptical.

PS I didn't grow up with LPs. :)

Thanks for any insight
colleycol
People are suggesting modding an old Garrard or Thorens? They must be crazy. The man said 'newbie'.

I would go low maintanance, which for a TT is difficult. However it is a matter of degree. Maybe pay a Linn dealer to set up a nice LP 12 for you. That way you will be insured of a great table, and you will not have to sweat it out or even do much of anything except buy records.

My 2 cents: get a cleaning machine now, so you can enjoy cheap used LP's. Do yourself a favor and don't cheap out, get a VPI 16.5. It is the standard.
Chasmal, you must have failed to see that Cory mentioned he was a mechanical engineer and likes to tinker, ie. the mod possibility is offered. If he doesn't want to tinker get a Rega, VPI, or other non-suspended tt.
Thanks guys.

I can see how a time/money investment is very necessary for this hobby to work. I have been concentrating so much on HT that I have been missing the possibilities that 2 channels offers.

So here is my plan (please don't hold back!):
1. Purchase a used TT, (Rega P5, VPI Scout)
2. Purchase a VPI 16.5 (everyone recommended it, since I will be buying from ebay)
3. Rogue Perseus Tube Preamp (Does tubes and Vinyl mix well??)
4. Spend about 200-300 bucks on albums (new issues and used), 75 % (classic jazz), 25%(blues like muddy, BB, Otis Rush, Albert King).
5. Spend some hours here reading and other online resources to learn all I can about aligning and maintaining.

Sound like a good plan to get my feet wet?
I'm about two months into my reintroduction to vinyl and I'm having a blast with it, but honestly it has been a bit of a money pit. I would suggest that you add at least another 25% to your budget for ancillary stuff, like cleaning supplies, etc., that you will soon realize you need. Of course, you need to budget for a cartridge. Also, if you plan to buy many new reissue jazz albums, your budget will not take you far. I suggest going to Elusive Disc, Music Direct and similar internet music sites and take a look at prices.
Excellent call!! Sounds exactly like what I did, and I am hooked. I have cleaned a ton of albums with my VPI, but I keep going back to buy new re-issues, they seem much better to me. Some of my used purchases have been great, but I now only go to local shops and avoid the internet. I find internet sales, even very reputeable ones go more on looks than sound. If an album looks great locally, but plays like crap, I bring it back.

Good luck and enjoy. Tell us how you like the Scout. I was set to buy the ScoutmasterSig until a Clearaudio Performance came for sale and I just bought it because of how it looked. After I bought it I found out it was well reviewed, but it was still a bad way to spend a couple of grand. Many of us have learned the hard way, it's a bad way to choose a wife as well!!!