Newbee dumb question, What exactly is B stock

scratch and dent items?
store demos?
overstock of discontinued models?
howdee
howdee,
"B" stock is product that for some reason has been factory re-furbished, usually sold with factory warranty "as new".
It is a National Hot Rod Association class for drag racing. (I used to run A/Gas and A/Gas supercharged). But seriously, it is a product that has been returned to the manufacturer after being received DOA, dealer coudn't pay his bill, dealer dropped the line, etc. It is usually not a damaged piece. It IS USUALLY a very good deal. HCM sells a lot of B-stock gear at great prices. I am using a $2200 amp which I bought from HCM as B-stock for $899 many years ago. Never had slightest problem with it. Don
UnderwoodWally once gave me an excellent explanation of B-Stock loudspeakers. He may have a website that you can dig up with a search engine. In the case of the Soliloquy loudspeakers he described as B-Stock, they were physically perfect. The veneers of the 2 speakers did not have exactly matching grain patterns as an A-stock pair would. This may be a specific case, but it shows that details on the described B-Stock item are important.
A lot of times b stock has been repaired for some reason. I have tried many different pieces of electronics over the years that were b stock and have had a lot of bad luck with the b stock pieces breaking down. Another downfall is that if it is B stock usually they only give you a 30 day warrenty and if it breaks down you are stuck with it.
Really can mean almost anything. As well as what is posted above; some B stock is actually A stock that they have lower the warranty period, so they can then lower the price, in order to clear out overstocks. Not necessarily 30 days. I've seen many B stock items where the A stock's 3 year warranty is lowered to 1 year. Still a lot of time.

Just keep in mind that if it is B stock that was refurbished; it was A stock before it was sent back. In my experience, the few things I have owned that broke, were just as likely A stock than B. It seem sometimes that when A stock breaks, we don't react the same as when B stock breaks.