New Wadia 381i vs Puccini

I am considering to buy the new Wadia 381i but I had no chance to hear it so far. Any caveats, other suggestions? Did anyone directly compare this wadia with other great players like the Puccini?
Thanks!
msw1

Showing 2 responses by bjbcab

Msw1, The DCS Puccini does not have a USB input unless you buy the U-clock. There is a digital SPDIF input but this does not sound as good as cd play because the digital input does not up sample to DSD, at least on my player. I think there is an upgrade but I do not have this yet. The USB input through the U-clock will be upsampled to DSD. In any event you are looking at about $22,500 total for player plus u-clock so this is not in the same league.

I have listened to Ayre cd players and they are quite good. Perhaps you could look at CXe-7 and their new usb dac (can't remember the name. I would also suggest taking a look at NAIM cds3 for cd playback and they also have a a separate d/a for with usb input. I have listened to the NAIM cds3 and it is very good and while the puccini is better IMO it compares quite favorably and is much cheaper. In the case of these Ayre and NAIM products the cost, while not identical, will more in line with the cost of a wadia 381i.