New Tube Amp Use EQ or not

I've been using my new amp for about 2 weeks now and have been very happy with the more "rounded" edges and richness in the mids. My main reason for the switch away from SS is my age related sensitivity to certain frequencies, especially if they have a percussive source. I used to think these offending frequencies were in the high frequency range and experimented with several types of tweeters to no avail. After using test equipment I discovered that the problem actually occurred in the 1000 to 1400 KHz range. I bought a decent EQ (Behringer DEQ2496) in an attempt to tame these and, to some extent, it worked.

Switching to the Cary Audio Design 808R (Rocket 88R) amp made a difference that even I could tell. The sound was richer with no loss of detail that I could discern. I just received a new Ralph Towner CD, though, with Xylophone accompaniment that brought back the discomfort at approx 1000Hz. I'm not looking for perfection but the idea of putting the Equalizer back in service to tame this frequency range crosses my mind. I know I can selectively attenuate these frequencies but my concern is that by doing so to selectively diminish these frequencies that are so uncomfortable as a percussive source, will result in some loss of the richness or fullness that those frequencies contribute otherwise. My gut says it would have to but I'd like to hear from the experts.

FYI, I switched from Peachtree Audio Nova Pre, Peachtree Audio 220, Martin Logan Ethos TO Peachtree Nova pre, Cary Rocket 88R amp, Reference 3A MMC Serie Speakers. The EQ has not been in the system for months.
128x128broadstone
It depends on how much music is hurting your ears. If it is just an occasional cd I would leave things alone. But if it is a consistent problem that really annoys you then try the EQ. Sometimes an interconnect change can solve the problem
Alan
I forgot to say that that very logical thought had already crossed my mind, Arh, and until I switched to the Cary, I had gone one step further and stopped listening CD's that had significantly uncomfortable passages. I'm in the process of refamiliarizing myself with my inventory and have found that there will probably still be some that won't be played at anything but very low volumes. What you said makes sense but I'm just putting it out there for discussion.
Broadstone, I've been following your posts (I have hyperacusis). I've changed interconnects many times and tube preamps with different sonic signatures to pair with my SS amp to make digital more listenable for me.

Changing to the Cary tube amp is a great move for you.
Probably like you, I have a group of CDs that I will never play due to their poor remastering or new CDs mastered with very extended highs.

The thing that has helped me most is tube rolling; but this is in the preamp. Finding the right NOS tubes can get expensive, but now I'm listening to most of my CD collection.

Maybe you can get a recommendation for a change in one of the amp tubes, possibly the driver tube, that would change the presentation of the offending frequencies? Mullard tubes have a softer top-end and a warmer sound.
You'll get help here, or you can contact Brent Jessee. He's very responsive to email questions...

http://www.audiotubes.com/bjtubes.htm