New TT -- $1k - $1500

Where do I go from a technics 1200mk2?  I was thinking of the VPI scout.  Thoughts?

I know KAB upgrades are out there, but all totaled they are about $5-600 in upgrades.  I'm wondering if I can sell the 1200, and upgrade to something more exponential (offering even better upgrade options that I can spend over the next years).  

I've had the stock 1200 for almost 3 years and looking for something different.  Can I get it at $1500?
128x128martinman
The fluid damper works very well, and the Technics tonearm bearings seem to hold up well. My deck has been in daily service for almost 9 years. Technics actually stated the bearing drag (7.5mg, I think) as one of its published specs.

Concerning the damping fluid: Fill it too high (over 50%) and it kills the liveliness and detail of the music. 1/3 full is j-u-u-s-t right. It'll track like a mofo (including very warped thrift shop records) and the music has a nice flow with excellent dynamics.
Martinman, your question has a very simple answer. Look for a used ClearAudio table in your price range. I'm sure you'll be more than pleased with any of their TT's.
Hey everyone -- I thought I would report back with my decision.  I decided to spend about $130 on a tone arm rewire, RCA jacks and the wax bearing mod from Kevin at KAB.  

This weekend I embarked on the tonearm rewire (which is quite intimidating based on the reading i've done!).  The biggest hurdle was the wire routing through the tone arm.  After much frustration, the magic finally came when I removed  the tonearm all together.  After this, it was quite easy.  Only thing I messed up was the anti-skate spring was on the wrong side (I must have set it at 3 during the install...  anyway, I had to open the patient again and fix).    Soldering was a little fiddly, but wasn't bad at all.

I'm glad i kept the table.  The tonearm rewire + cardas RCA is a huge improvement.  It's like i have a new deck.  I haven't even done the wax plate mod or the soon-to-be-ordered dampening mod!