New transport or repair CD player

I have a 508.20 series Meridian CD player being used as a transport which has trouble reading CDs ("NO DISC" message) that it had no problem with in the past. I suspect the laser is dying.  The Meridian is a very well made player but to my ears sounds better being used as a transport into my external DAC.  The repair center in Georgia wants $500 to replace the laser mechanism.  A new transport such as the well regarded Audiolab 6000T is $600.  Seems to me it is worth getting the Audiolab or something similar rather than fixing the Meridian but not sure how they would compare sonically.  Plus, due to its age the drawer mechanism on the Meridian might become problematic in the not too distant future.  I need to keep it under $1000 otherwise I'd spring for one of the better transports such as Jays for example.  I suppose I could buy a new transport and if the sound isn't as good as the Meridian I could return it.  What would you do?

jc4659

My take buy a new transport.Iam concern the new installed laser won’t last.If you really love the meridian, just trust the tech to repair it.

I had a modified Pioneer PD 65 for years. The laser gave out, but Pioneer no longer stocks parts. I replaced it with a CDT 6000 (that I picked up slightly used for $375, including shipping!), it’s terrific IF you use a top notch coax, power cord, isolation/vib feet: I buy my cables from Ali-Express DIY HiFI- Odin Gold (see the Counterfeit Chinese Cables thread in AG forums. The top cover needs some dampening, too, BUT, you might check out the Pro-Ject DS2 PLAYER, which has coax outs (MSRP $800), so you can use it as a transport

Oh, and FYI, you can usually pick up a used 6000 for < $400, likely because the owner is using lessor cables

hth

I am all about maximizing the lifespan of gear, but based on my experience using a Cary 303 as a transport, I would audition a new one. The change from the 303 to a server/built-in renderer was a decrease in that digital-type distortion.

Yeah, the Meridian owes you nothing at this point and could well fail going forward. If you wanna stick with a CD transport I’d get an Audiolab, Bel Canto, or Pro-Ject transport and either an Empirical Audio Syncho Mesh or Wyred4Sound Remedy if you can’t pony up for a Jay’s Audio transport.  But, honestly, I’d get an Innuos Zen Mk3 that you can load all your CDs into and have all your music available from one source in any order from your chair.  Plus you can stream with Qobuz and have worlds of new music at your fingertips, and much of it in hi-res u ain’t gonna get with a CD drive.  Also, many of your CDs are probably available on Qobuz so you may not even need to burn too many of your CDs into the Innuos.  I just no longer see the need for a CD transport these days — it’s like the buggy whip of the  21st century IMHO.  And, the biggest improvement by far as a long-time audiophile hasn’t been equipment, it’s been being able to find new music I would’ve never, ever heard but not for streaming.  Like many others, I rarely play my own CDs anymore because it’s infinitely more interesting to hear new music rather than listening to the same stuff over and over, as entertaining as that can be but has its limits.  Just my $0.02 FWIW.

@soix You make valid points. I already use a Remedy with the Meridian and it sounds great, sometimes better than streaming Qobuz from my MacBook Pro.  Fact is, I was debating whether to put the money into a streamer vs a new transport. I was leaning towards the iFi Zen Stream.  But your suggestion makes more sense.  I just do not want to go backwards in terms of how music sounds in my system.  It took me too long to get here.