New Transport Approach

With never-ending advances in technology and tumbling prices, I wonder if any high-end audio CD player manufacturer is considering an approach such as this - populate the player with 700 megabytes of RAM and pre-read the whole CD into RAM. We know this is completely reliable (or else our beloved MS Office wouldn't work). Then the whole transport system could be shut down, eliminating any concerns about mechanical or electrical noise, and the "CD" could be played back straight from RAM through the DAC. It would seem like this would reduce or eliminate jitter completely. There would be an "initialization" time penalty, but I would think for the high-end market, that wouldn't be a huge deal. Any thoughts? -Kirk
kthomas

Showing 1 response by tok20000

Just a thought...

You really would not need 700 MB ram.

I suggest using 128MB or 256MB of ram, and having a 14+ GB removeable hard drive in the unit.

This way an entire CD or DVD could be read into the hard drive. Data would flow from the hard drive to the RAM. From the RAM to the processor/DAC. Heck you caould have a huge 60GB HD in the unit with all of your favorite CD's scanned in.

Anyway, just a thought.