New to Magnepan, a volume question

Hello, new to Audiogon and Magnepan both.  I just acquired a pair of used MMG's and I'm really enjoying them, especially on certain types of music; acoustic jazz, vocal, and small to mid scale classical.  My problem with them is that I run out of volume knob with my current set up.  It is:  Schitt Saga preamp and Adcom GFA-555 amp.  The Saga is basically a passive preamp, it doesn't add any gain to the signal, and though I love the sound, full volume with this pairing gets me to just below an average listening level, no where to go when I want to push the envelope.  Will I get to higher SPL's using the passive with more wattage as long as the amp is a high current design?  The amps I'm considering are McCormick DNA-500, Bryston 7B ST or SST, and Bel Canto REF600 or REF1000 if I can find them.  I'm looking to build a better power amp foundation for the system of the future, as I can see now I may very well be heading toward larger Magnepans or electrostatic speakers in time.  I have a other preamps that will add gain, but they don't sound as good as the Schitt, and do push the Adcom to flashing lights when I get closer to where I want to be volume-wise.  Looks to me like the Adcom, as much as I have loved it, doesn't cut the mustard with 4 ohm loads.  I have heard that Bryston is a natural match for Magnepans, and also the they sound somewhat dull or flat.  Good reviews from users for the McCormick, and yes and no about class D amps (the Bel Cantos) with Magnepans.  I admit, I'm all at sea...  Any advice appreciated.
dprincipato
I second the Maggie ,Parasound Integrated recommendations . I used one with 1.7i for a year and just took a step up to the 3.7i the sound is fast and musical with plenty of power. You can always go the used route for $1500 - $1800. The phono section is a great plus as it takes mm and mc carttidges. Don’t think you’ll find better sound or quality for the $$.
You have a mismatch there, the Maggie’s have low sensitivity so require a coup,e of extra points on the volume knob, couple that with using a passive that also adds a coup,e of points and you’re maxed out.  I have this with my setup.  I use an active preamp with ss for big, loud, pieces and when I want quieter songs, like solo voice I switch tompassive and tubes.  I would suggest a tube pre to take some of the edge off the Maggie’s.
I own the Schiit Saga Preamp and the Adcom GFA-5800 amp.

There is either something wrong with your GFA-555 amp or maybe the source.   The GFA-555 is plenty powerful to drive the MMGs to a loud level.   

You did not mention your source of music.   If you are using a turntable, the Schiit Saga preamp does not have a phono input.  It is all line level.   You need to use a phono preamplifier between the turntable and preamp.   

If you have a CD player, you should connect that to your preamp to see if anything has changed.
Depending on your definition of loud, the only way to get more out of a Maggie is to get a bigger Maggie.     You might check out their bass panel with the smaller Maggie.     I had 1.6 then  20.1 and the bigger ones can play loud. I never considered the 1.6 to get loud.     Another suggestion is that your old adcom if it’s not been recapped is probably not as strong as it was bac in the 90s.