"New" Thorens 124 sounds great, but...

I have a "new" (completely refurbished by STS classic turntables). I know that there is a very heavy lower platter, and it looks like it is made of iron. There is a top platter that seems like it is made of aluminum. On top of that, I have a turntable mat that is made from carbon fiber and cork. I use a Funk Firm FX-R tonearm, and a Benz Ruby Z low output moving coil cartridge.

My tonearm is acting weird. When I lift up the cueing mechanism at the end of the record, it wants to quickly run back to the armrest. Scary fast - as if the table wasn't level, or the armboard wasn't level. But both are perfectly level. I took this tonearm and cartridge combo off of my Linn LP 12, where it acted perfectly normal. Again, it sounds great - no break up on any channel. And the down force is consistent at all points of the record.

Is there any chance that there is a magnetic force at play here? No amount of playing with the anti skate seems to matter. Curious what you folks who have this table, or others like it may think.

David
Ag insider logo xs@2xtorc

Showing 2 responses by noromance