New Technics SL1200G turntable

Can anyone offer any information about the TT?   It is fairly pricey, but the engineering of it seems to be first rate.  
whitestix

Showing 3 responses by rauliruegas

Dear @invictus005: Now I agree with you about and now I know why Technics won. The Caliburn/SAT combo is faraway to be a first rate unit because the totuted SAT tonearm is a " shame " of. Please read what I posted somewhere after I made it the overall alignment calculations:

""" 

from your Stereophile review the SAT specs are as follows: P2S: 212.2mm, overhang: 22.8mm, offset angle 26.10° with an effective length: 235mm.

Those numbers tell us that you are listening ( with any cartridge. ) way higher distortion levels, that you just do not detected even today, against almost any other tonearm/cartridge combination.

Obviously that the SAT needs a dedicated protractor to make the cartridge/tonearm set up but we have to analize what those specs/numbers has to say:

the SAT maximum traking error is a really high: 3.09° when in a normal 235m Effective Length Löfgren A alignment ( IEC standard. ) is only: 1.84°

the SAT maximum distortion % level is: 2.67 when in that normal tonearm only 0.633

the SAT average RMS % distortion is: 0.616 when in normal tonearm only :
0.412 ( Löfgren B even lower: 0.37.

All those makes that the linnear offset in the SAT be 10mm longer than in a normal tonearm ! ! """"

along all those numbers/facts, the SAT CF material ( no maatters what. ) is way resonant for a tonearm and other not very positive SAT characteristic is that is a balnced design and we have to take in count that the SAT is a 30K+ tonearm ! ! ! 

So, yes that's why you and Mr. Fremer like it the Technics more.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,

R.

Dear @invictus005: I don't disagree with you because overall things seems as could be " better " and I think that not so dramatic as " smoke " the other 200K unit.

Now, what @tzh21y posted affects in several ways what we are hearing and at least me can't say if the Technics in that set up is given a higher level distortions than could be we like it more. I think is not conclusive as you posted and tell us that the Technics is very good and a real bargain for any audiophile.

Like you I'm not surprised on the Technics quality level, I admire Technics for more than 40 years now and own and owned the best they marketed in analog.

R.
Dear friends: That kind of Fremer's " contest/comparison " makes not to much sense to me and almost useless:

whom of us can say which specific parameter/item characteristic is the one that makes " the difference " when the TTs were seated in different plattforms, different tonearms, different tonearm internal wiring, one tonearm with a removable headshell design that comes with separated headshell wires, maybe the IC cables from the tonearm output to the PS input were different too.
Can we say that the TT it self made the differences or the internal tonearm wiring or the whole tonearm. How can we sure which the precise answer?

I know for sure that I can't do it. Any one of can says it for sure?

R.