New Technics SL 1200 GAE

Anyone acquired a new Technics DD 1200 GAE? Has anyone not been happy with the stock arm and changed it?
nkonor
Its a fairly easy matter to change the arm on the new SL1200. We are working on installing a 12" Triplanar on one right now. That's a bit trickier but still pretty doable.

BTW, it shares very little with any of the previous 1200s- its an entirely different design! Why they chose to make it look like a 1200 is a bit of a mystery other than possibly the older 1200 was the most popular DD turntable made. But the new 'table has very little in common other than looks and the arm.
atmasphere,

I hope you are successful with the installation of the 12" Triplaner and post your findings.                            
In the meantime if you could post your initial findings on stock out of the box thoughts. They would be appreciated.
Thanks
nkonor
ok cool, i'll check out the 1200gr for around 2k. however, the 1210 m5g does have better tonearm wiring and phono cable as well as an improved tonearm...
I don't own a 1200 GAE but I listened to one for about half an hour in a store.  I don't have much of an opinion about the sound since I heard it mostly on  planar speakesr that a different sound than what I am used to.  Also, it had a new cartridge that only had an hour or so on it.

I do own a modified 1200 MK2 with an Archomat mat, isonoe footers, KAB fluid damper and good AT and Sumiko headshells.  I didn't have to listen for more than 30 seconds to realize that the GAE is superior to the 1200 MK2.  The greater clarity, richness of the sound and texture were what I noticed first.  Visually, it appears to be much better built than the older models.  As it should considering the price!

A number of people have made comments online implying that it is overpriced and a ripoff by Technics.  Seeing how (and where) it is made, it seems to be reasonably priced to me.  Personally, I like knowing that this is made in Japan, made according to their traditions and not outsourced to some sweatshop in China.

Do I wish they had chosen another design?  To be honest, yes.  I bought my 1200 MK2 originally as a stopgap after my Thorens table broke and couldn't be repaired.  I didn't like the looks of the 1200 at first but it has grown on me over the years.  I don't find the looks of the SP 10 to be more attractive, in any case.

I am sure it could be improved by adding a much more expensive arm.  Sound can always be improved-or at least altered-by spending more money on different things  Personally, I don't think the arm that is on it now is so shabby.  I would use it for awhile before I thought about replacing it.  Still I would love to hear one with a Triplanar or SME!

andysf

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the GAE. I hope those that have acquired one will add to this thread. I too only heard it at Axpona this past April for 20 minutes. I don't think this price is out of line with today's prices on equipment.