New sound immersion processes

What is everyone’s thoughts on these new sound immersion processes?  Do you like Dolby Atmos and Sony 360 Reality audio?  Do you like one better than the other? Or neither? Do you listen via headphones or thru your rig? 

polkalover

The new immersion processes are NOT "surround" sound. Surround sound was based on channels and many people who have not adopted immersive audio dismiss it because of their misunderstanding about "object based" audio.

Immersive audio is new and still finding its way. When I decided to adopt immersive audio I took the same care in speaker selection that I did with two channel. If I wouldn't use a speaker in my immersive audio setup for two channel I wouldn't use it as a surround speaker. Dolby has specs available for speaker setup. I followed them and chose to use front and rear height channels using bookshelves. Simple, you can aim them at the sweetspot. It made no sense to me to use the speakers that bounce off the ceiling or drill holes in my ceiling to have speakers aimed at the floor. The floor is not a sweet spot. Once setup properly immersive audio is breathtaking. I still listen to two channel at low to moderate levels on some content, mostly in the morning with my coffee. But if you want to replicate a live music experience immersive is much more lifelike than aiming a pair of speakers at your head. 

I encourage you to check out the threads I started here on atmos. One is how to setup an atmos system based on dolby specs. The second is on atmos music.

If you are thinking about setting up an atmos system make sure to check out this thread:

I find Sony 360 a headphone based upmixer and use it with my Tidal subscription. I wouldn't build a home theater around it though.