New Santana Album "Africa Speaks"

Santana has a new album out; since it's not quite jazz, and I'm not sure if it's Rock, I'll just throw it up for grabs and see who likes it.

Africa Speaks is inspired by music from the continent of Africa, and has been called a "unique fusion of rock, Latin and jazz". Many of the album's tracks were recorded in one take. The album features vocals from Spanish singer Buika.

Africa Speaks was released on June 7, 2019 by Concord Records and Suretone Records, but this is the first time I've seen it on "you-tube"

Since it has been hard for me to find anything by Santana that I didn't like, I'll refrain from expressing my biased opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD4a7bAnhrM&list=PLW0qrlJ-5IPmYy6pMLK1wv4Fq8V3bIFMm

What do you think?
orpheus10
@millercarbon

With all due respect, I must say you may be overthinking this one. Abraxas is one of the all time greats, I agree, The new one is worth a listen at the very least.
For the more discerning music-lover, Buika's the real deal!  If you can, try to follow master drummer Dafnis Prieto, prepare for lift-off!!!;)

https://youtu.be/sf0sf2VpDSI

It seems that everyone is comparing Santana to their last favorite Santana going all the way back to "Woodstock"; that was 50 years ago, how much have you changed since Woodstock?

I've followed Santana all along since then, I understand how he's developed his universal global philosophy; he doesn't consider himself a citizen of any country, but a person in harmony with all mankind. That's in strong contrast to most people.

At the time of "Abraxas" I was into Abraxas; at this time, I'm into "Africa Speaks"; the album is quite apparent and speaks for itself; some people like chocolate while others like vanilla, that's the nature of music.
millercarbon ...

• "Until and unless someone trustworthy tells me Santana has stopped compressing their music to death ..."

Agreed ... This is the problem with so many recordings recommended on this and other audiophile sites. In my opinion, compression and artificial digital reverb is the ruination of commercially released recordings these days.

I do understand what people like about recordings that are drenched in artificial reverb. It makes the sound stage sound larger, but to me, it sounds as though the music is coming out of a cave. Totally artificial sound. Live music doesn't sound like that.

Frank