New Rega Apollo-R

I just wanted to give a big thumbs up to my new Apollo. I just replaced my old Rotel CD player and straight out of the box I couldn't be happier. Boy does this new source make my system sound so much better.

My system is a PrimaLuna Classic Integrated tube amp, Totem Aro's, and Wavelength Proton DAC, interconnects are Kimber Kable PBJ or Timbre's. The sound difference between the DAC and the original CD player isn't real big so I was expecting an improvement but not this great.
Stage seems much bigger, clarity and separation better, with still really nice musicality (if that's the right word for the music still being cohesive).
I debuted it with US3 Cantaloop (flip fantasia) for it's solos and blend of horns, percussion, piano and vocals. I know that this "review" is pre-mature as it's all so new and that's all I had time to listen to so far but I was so happy I wanted to voice it to some folks who would understand. Tomorrow more vocals, and guitar but from what I heard so far I expect to be just as pleased.
jetson

Showing 3 responses by zd542

Once it gets broken in and you've had some time to listen to it, try it as a CD player. The DAC in your Rega is excellent. You may prefer it.
Sunnyjim,

Its just as likely that people that already own the Apollo-R are reading the reviews and then selling them because of the negative comments in the review. (Just to note, I don't read reviews, so I'm going on the info in your post, and nothing else. I have no idea what reviewers are saying about anything.)

Anyway, this can be good for you. Most audiophiles don't know their a$$ from their elbow and need the reviewers to tell them what to do. If I were you, I would listen to the Rega myself and see if it was any good. If it is, you should be able to get one cheap from one of the fools selling theirs.

There's no better way to use a review. Find the ones they get wrong, and clean up.