New Pass Labs X.5 series versus previous X series

Pass Labs is in the process of re-dedesigning their entire X series into the new X.5 series. As of this writing X150.5, X250.5 and possibly X350.5 are already shipping. The X600.5 are expected to start shipping early in the new year. This thread is to discuss experiences with the new amps, their sound signature, perceivable improvements over the old series, and of course dissenting opinions. Everyone's perspective is welcome--X and X.5 owners, X.5 window shoppers, Dealers, and all other audiogoners with a passion for affect by the bug of audiophilia.
guidocorona

Showing 5 responses by flg2001

Hi folks: I own a X250 and has been one of the best speakers I have had, the list is quite large to bore you here. I don't feel the need to move to the .5 series, and more into finding theright preamp for my X250. The best I have OWNED is a First Sound Passive preamp. X2 was awfull for me.

What is expected to be that different in the .5 series to really make me change my mind?

I will appreciate your feedback.

Fernando
It is interesting to learn on the inner detailed presentation that Sigmund refers to. I have always felt that it is currently one of the main virtues of my X250. Inner detail, dynamics, articulation (particullary with the First Sound Passive preamp). I just can't imagine a step-forward these sonic attributes.. congratulations!

Fernando

PS: If I am pushed to hard to say what would I like to have more from my X250 would be depth of image. Have you experienced this as well?
Sigmund: I own Avalon Eclipses, which also throw great backstage and imaging scenario. The sound of the combo is terrific for my tastes, but.. I recall a little more depth from the Gryphon amps.. anyway.

I am buying more CDs and less gear since the Pass is in the system...

Fernando
Longho68: I am not that familiar with your speakers, just heard them very briefly at Madison 500 some years back when SACD was hot (jejeje).

If I were in your shoes I should go with the new Pass amp, there is a review somewhere in the net and at the PASS site where the reviewer found quite small differences between the x600 and the x250 in terms of musicality, tonal palette, etc.. the x600 is, from my perspective, only neccesary where TONS of power is needed.

Regards

Fernando
Longho68: The x600 is a great amp, you will both enjoy it and will surely find a sonic upgrade.

".. expensive hobby.."???, not quite sure..., I thought the same, but if you talk deep with some friends who are into other hobbies such as Photography, wrist watches, pens .. or even more ego-indulging ones based on other sort of pleasure (you know..), we are in heaven....

Enjoy

Fernando