New or Used Speakers for Simaudio I-3 Integrated

Hi there, fellow Audiogoners...

I like my current set up:

Simaudio I-3 (100 wpc) > Analysis Plus Oval 12 > Totem Rainmaker with the following sources:

Sony DVP-S770 > Simaudio 100D DAC and Audirvana + > ifi Micro iDSD

However, I'm moving from my apartment to a house and I'd like to upgrade my speakers for floorstanders as I'll be able to listen at more realistic levels without bothering the neighbors.  My new music room will be 12x14 with a carpeted floor and 8' ceiling. I'll have acoustic foam on the walls behind the speakers.  I've searched the forums the last few days and looked at a couple of my previous posts to review good advice I've gotten in the past.  My budget is $1500 and I'm not planning to sell the Rainmakers to raise additional funds.  I'll use them for my 2.1 HT system.  

Here's my list so far:

- Vandersteen 1Ci $1249 (I used to own the 1B about 15 years ago and liked them with my Carver M-500T at the time (250 wpc)...no dealer close to me in Portland, Oregon but could order them from Music Direct.
- Tekton Lore $1000...no way to audition.
-B&W 683 S2...heard these before, but no real memory.  Could "in-home" them from BB, but $1650 is a touch over budget.
- KEF Q700 $1000 (1 pr available locally).  These were one of my finalists last go around until I heard the Rainmakers.
- Focal Chorus 727 $900 (also new from A4L)..only interested because they're half-off new and I've heard their similar bookshelf speakers.  Oddly, these only spec down to 49hz and my Rainmakers are 42hz on the low end.

I haven't considered anything used, yet.  I listen to just about every genre but mainly female vocals, hard bop and rock. That said, I'd really like this system to be able to rock.  I'm leaning toward the Vandersteen's, but I worry that my room's not big enough to get them out in the middle where they need to be.  I know that I should wait and listen to the Rainmakers in the new room, but I'm probably not going to do that. :-)

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

chuke076

Showing 1 response by chuke076

great advice MDR...thanks for taking the time to write.  Great point on needing to spend a lot more to surpass the Rainmakers.  I really don't want to spend the money on a lateral move.