New Oppo BDP-95 better than the McIntosh MVP-881?

For the money, the 29 lb. McIntosh MVP-881 Universal Blu Ray player is one of the biggest rip offs in Blu Ray DVD history.
Looking inside the unit reveals not much under the hood for
$ 8K. The power supply is skimpy and it has three cooling
fans. One on the bottom, one on the rear, and one on the inside. Very, very hot! What I call Scrooge engineering.
The Mac uses the Sabre32 ESS9016 24x Dacs. Five total. The new Oppo BDP-95 coming out in February uses the Sabre32 ESS9018's 32x Dacs. Two total with a beefy power supply, selling for $ 1K. I hope the Oppo knocks the hell out of the McIntosh, Marantz, Denon, Ayre, and Lexicon Universal players selling between $4 and $10K. For McIntosh to put out a player that is hotter than any other high end player
on the market, is a sign that their engineering has gone down hill and their glory days are over.
audiozen

Showing 2 responses by jwm

My experience seems different. I own an Oppo 83SE and my nephew has the Oppo 95. My Oppo using HDMI or the analog outputs for movies sounds thin in the midrange. The 95 is better but I still hear this problem. No question picture quality is great. So I purchased a new Sony 5000ES 500.00 from 1500.00. Right out of the box the sound is much sweeter and fuller in the mids. The top end is great without sounding too bright. Just for fun I bought the Marantz UD8004 and was not happy with that one. Start up times were so slow you could make pancakes before a movie started. If I did not have the Classe 800 processor and had to use analog outputs I would send my Oppo to Modright for their upgrade.
Oppo has been shipping and is still shipping new players. I ordered one three weeks ago and got mine a week later. I returned it because I like the Sony 5000ES better.