New Oppo BDP-95 better than the McIntosh MVP-881?

For the money, the 29 lb. McIntosh MVP-881 Universal Blu Ray player is one of the biggest rip offs in Blu Ray DVD history.
Looking inside the unit reveals not much under the hood for
$ 8K. The power supply is skimpy and it has three cooling
fans. One on the bottom, one on the rear, and one on the inside. Very, very hot! What I call Scrooge engineering.
The Mac uses the Sabre32 ESS9016 24x Dacs. Five total. The new Oppo BDP-95 coming out in February uses the Sabre32 ESS9018's 32x Dacs. Two total with a beefy power supply, selling for $ 1K. I hope the Oppo knocks the hell out of the McIntosh, Marantz, Denon, Ayre, and Lexicon Universal players selling between $4 and $10K. For McIntosh to put out a player that is hotter than any other high end player
on the market, is a sign that their engineering has gone down hill and their glory days are over.
audiozen

Showing 1 response by hififile

Yes, there are brands out there that charge big bucks for pride of possession. I have toured the McIntosh factory several times. Many of their products are world class in build and design, the MC-275 tube amp is a fine example. That said, on one of my tours I saw Denon DVD players unboxed and readied for rebadging for resale at more than double the Denon price.

Another comparison can be made with Jewelry. A Rolex is a fine watch that is very expensive. Yet a Seiko or Casio digital are more accurate and reliable.

The Oppo is an amazing piece, and an amazing piece for the money.