New Mark Levinson 5805 Firmware Problems

Greetings.  I'm new to this group.  I wanted to share my experiences.  I bought an ML 5805 that was delivered first week of February, 2020.  I updated the firmware to current version 1.47.  Upon doing so, the PCM digital filter choices "disappeared" from the amp menu.  Also missing was the decoding info provided when the Enter button is pressed.

Levinson customer support said no one else had reported this but me and seemed to try to "blame" it on me, asking such questions like, have I had a power outage, has the unit been moved, have I disconnected/re-connected wires, etc.  After being put through the wringer and providing them their requested information, they had me do a Config Restore to the previous firmware.  When I did that, the PCM filters and decoding info returned, but, if I customized ANYTHING in the amp (i.e. startup volume, offset, naming of inputs, etc) the PCM filters and decoding info disappeared again.  At one time, the amp went into Standby Mode and could not be awakened--it had "died."  This inferred to me that both firmware versions have bugs.

So, Levinson and my Raleigh, NC dealer (who has been terrific about this) provided a brand new replacement 5805 today.  The dealer's tech person installed it, updated the firmware, and, drum roll please...the exact same problems occurred with my new replacement 5805.  The dealer's tech said it appeared both firmware versions had bugs.  This so-called luxury amp has worn me out.  I am ready for a refund and a replacement product.  Does anyone have recommendations for a superb-sounding integrated amplifier for around the same price range +/-  $2K to $4K?
paulg24

Showing 7 responses by paulg24

Here's an update.  After the replacement 5805 Levinson amp had the same malfunctions, my dealer/person (with decades of experience) realized that Levinson's firmware update was too large (v1.41 to v1.47 when my my two units were v1.38).  He speculated Levinson's updates left out something needed to go from v1.38 to v1.41 and then to v1.47.  So, he got Levinson to email him v1.41, he reinstalled it on my returned amp, then updated it to v1.47 and the malfunctions went away.  However, when we tried to do the same thing with my replacement 5805, it wouldn't allow it.

He kindly came to my house to try installing v 1.47 himself and we were surprised that Levinson had created update v1.48 within the last 24 hours, and, it fixed the malfunctions I'd experienced.  However, after playing it for several hours, the amp locked up while on and playing music, and could not be controlled with the remote or from the front of the amp.  So, no_money, you might want to be on the lookout for this.

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions!  Much appreciated.
no_money, My main music source is a Naim NDX2 streamer, with a Naim Uniti Core (for ripped CD collection) as a server.  I'm auditioning the 5805's digital coax input with a borrowed Transparent Reference digital cable which sounds much better than my old Transparent Super 75 ohm cable, but unsure if it sounds as good as the NDX 2 DAC via RCA cables.
     The 5805 has so many types of inputs, one would not be concerned with, nor even see, the PCM digital filters if using one of the analog inputs.
     I like the 5805 a lot.  I couldn't afford high-end separates so I went with the integrated.  My replacement 5805 is still breaking in.  Aside from the frustrating firmware issues, the 5805 is a winner for me.
What is your music source and are you using digital or analog inputs?  And how do you like your unit?
You have some great equipment no_mo!  I have 18-yo Aerial Acoustic 7b's that still sound spectacular.  I'm glad to hear the 5805 can power the 10T's.  I have Transparent Super RCA interconnects I've also tried with the NDX2.  I may buy a din-to-RCA interconnect.  I've heard Chord Cables makes superior stuff.  I may post a question, Transparent vs Chord.
UPDATE:  My local dealer gave me a reasonable trade up to a Mark Levinson 585.5.  It doesn't have some of the features that the 5805 had, but features are no good if the equipment keeps dying.  My dealer's rep said he believes that the earlier serial #s machine had the problems.  Assuming firmware upgrades on the older machines, that doesn't make sense to me unless Levinson also changed some hardware in the newer machines.  Any, so far I'm happy.
Well, my replacement Levinson 5805 just died after 6 months, completely. No lights no nothing.
I think Levinson developed the 5805 in a rush job. no_money and I have had 4 units go bad between the two of us.  
Sorry you’re having problems with your ML equipment Stuart. Hope you get your music back soon. 
Stuart, I am sorry to hear about your ML 5805 woes. I had two die on me this year and requested a full refund to apply toward purchase of the ML 585.5.  I recently talked to the manager of my local audio dealer and his store stopped selling the 5805s entirely until Levinson figures out what’s wrong. Locally they had a 1/3 failure rate of all the 5805s sold.  I wish you luck.