New Magnepan 1.7 R

Did anyone else see the CNET article about the new Maggie's? It's a true ribbon 2 way speaker, wow. I had not heard anything about these anywhere before, or seen them at a show. Was the whole mini Maggie testing last year really about these?

I may have to break down and try these.

Any thoughts, or better yet, anyone on here who actully heard/saw them during the testing??
macdadtexas

Showing 8 responses by fruff1976

The 1.6 was the bane of my existence for 8 years. I switched every component around them thinking my lack of enthusiasm for my system couldn't possibly be the maggies. I use to constantly be moving them around, toeing in, toe out, install resistors, tilt them back, forward you name it. They just never sounded very engaging. I was even starting to question if my stereo sounded any better than my neighbors cheap best buy system. Anyhow, I finally sold them and bought some Usher CP-6371's which completely smoke the maggies. I also have some Proac 1SC's for nearfield listening, something the maggies were not very good at either. After that experience I think I'll pass on the 1.7.
01-01-10: Macdadtexas
Really, are you comparing Usher's to Maggies?? Dude, that's brave. A legendary, universally revered spearker like Maggies and a generic drege like the Usher?? That's bold.
----------------
I don't care how revered Maggies are, the ushers flat out smoke them. I have no reason to lie about it. I had them both at the same time and ended up selling the Maggies. I enjoy my system EVERY time I listen to it now whereas with the 1.6 I would OCCASIONALLY enjoy it. I spent more time jerking around with placement than listening.
The wonderful thing about our hobby is that our ears refine beauty for each of us on an individual basis. Telling someone else that our personal idea of aural beauty is better that their concept strikes me as somewhat arrogant. While I happen to love my 1.6s, I would not deny that to others, their idea of musical nirvana might be entirely different. Let's pour some wine and enjoy the music..
------------------
That's basically my point. I realize that others may love magnepans, but I don't. I was hung up on the fact that they must be good because they are so revered. I changed every other component only to realize I just didn't like the speakers. I could care less what people think of Usher speakers, I am happy every time I listen to my stereo. It's better than jerking around with placement every single time I sit down to listen.
BTW. If you discount the Usher because they aren't revered, I also have Proac 1SC's that I personally find much, much more engaging than the Magnepans. Just my personal experience though. I do believe Proac has somewhat of a good reputation.
01-03-10: Audiofeil
>>01-01-10: Fruff1976
BTW. If you discount the Usher because they aren't revered<<

Most listeners discount them because they suck.

Being revered has little relevance.
---------------------------
Look, the point is, I could care less what you, a reviewer or anyone else says. To my ears, they sound much better than any other speakers that has been in my house, with the exception of the Proacs which sound as good but in a different way. That's one of the reasons I kept the 1.6 so long is because everyone was saying how great they are so I figured it must be me. I've learned to judge components based on my own likes or dislikes and not because someone says they suck.
01-03-10: Sthomas12321
Fruff,
just curious if you used a sub with your 1.6's?

Thanks
-----------------------------
I did. I have an REL Strata III that I used with them.
Macdadtexas, you must still be drunk. I owned Maggies for 8 years and I added my comments based on experience. I don't care if you or millions of other people like them, they were mediocre at best for me. Maybe I should rephrase my comment. "Usher CP-6371's do not smash Magnepan 1.6's" - But rather in my house, with my components, with my ears, they outperform the Magnepan's in every respect without any doubt. I'm not a dealer by any means, I can also tell you that my proacs are much more enjoyable than the Magnepans and also my Audio Physic are much more engaging. Again, not to get your panties in a bunch, but this is my personal experience. I also had Gallo ref 3's which got sold because they could not perform as well as the Ushers. For everyone out there that owns and loves Magnepans, good for you. The goal is to find components that make you enjoy the hobby (even if they are "generic chinese made speakers." One last thing about my experience with the 1.6.; rock music sounded extremely weak, even with a sub.
01-03-10: Narrod
Fruff1976, it took eight years for you to decide the Magnaplanars weren't the speakers for you? I admire someone who doesn't make snap judgments. :-)

Wendell
---------------------
As you know they are one of the most recommended and highly praised speakers, period. When I bought them in 2000, I didn't know how long it would be before I could ever afford a pair of $1600 speakers again so I went with the extreme hype and bought them. It took a long time to get enough money to buy something new without having to sell the magnepans. Once I brought the new speakers home I finally realized what I was missing and sold the 1.6 without hesitation. I think I was more in denial for a long time thinking it was everything else in the system. Luckily I now have 3 pairs of speakers that I don't have to jerk around with placement all the time.