New Luxman 507Z

MusicDirect has communicated that the new Luxman 507Z will retail for $8995. The  prior model, the 507uXII was $6495. I appreciate that Covid has driven up the price of goods coming from Asia (cost of containers) and that inflation may have some impact but this is pretty steep.

Does anyone know if there are significant technical or feature improvements to justify a nearly 40% price increase?

goethe58

Houps ... just got 507uxII nicely negociated .. I'll end thinking that this was cheap ..

507uxII price in France was 6K€, raised to 6.5K€ recently (last summer) due to part & shipment cost increase related to Covid.

I myself work in consumer electronics industry & we had to face 10 to 20% increase of our bill of material & shipment costs.

Seems Luxman limited the increase on 507uxII but took the opportunity of 507Z to pretend key technical changes to justify a higher price increase. This is a common way of doing.

Now I could not afford.

Post removed 
Post removed 

I have an L-507z.  I bought a demo unit from Japan.  I live in the US.

Luxman pricing is all over the place right now.  For example, here is the Japanese retail vs. US retail for some of their integrated amps:

- L-590AXII ¥ 638,000 $9495
- L-509x ¥ 858,000 $9995

- L-507z ¥ 693,000 $8995

- L-507uXII ¥ 528,000 $6500

I think they are in the middle of revamping their product lineup.  The pure Class A products (L-XXXAXII) are discontinued, probably due to pressure to put out more eco-friendly products.  So not totally sure the L-507z is the totem-pole equivalent of the L-507uXII

I was told by Jeff that although the L-507Z was revamped with the new feedback engine, et al, there are no immediate plans to revamp other models-however, its primarily due to the current commitment to take care of outstanding orders and service levels. I would think that it would be eventually logical to pay the upgrade forward to other models. Putting the like CL A/B, L-507Z within $1000 of the TOTL  L-509X doesn’t make much marketing sense to me.

I know that by 2025 (their 100th anniversary), they want to incorporate the new LIFES engine in all of their integrateds.  I bet the L-509z will make its appearance by then with a higher price tag to boot.

I can say that the L-507z is incredible, though.  It's my first Luxman amplifier so I can't compare to the others.  Who knows, I might've been just as happy with the L-507uXII.  

here are US/FR prices :
- 507uxmk2 : 6495$, 6500€
- 507z : 8995$, 9490€ (https://www.artisansduson.fr/amplificateurs-a-transistors/luxman-l507z)
As 509x is priced 9690€ in FR, hard to see what would be the interest of 507z for "only" 200€ less. 509x has stronger transformer, better finish top cover, more high end potentiometers, more inputs, .. I do not know exact other changes .. Is the new "LIVES" making 507z sounding at 509x level ??

I just picked up a 509x and was informed that when it’s replacement Z model takes place, that it will be 13k-14k retail. The 509x will be around for the remainder of the 2022 year. How much of an improvement over the  current ONFD tech vs the new LIFES is yet tbd. In theory it seems like Luxman’s rendition of Hegel’s Sound Engine. Hopefully it’s done correctly.

The new 10x Amplifier is 20k. This model has the new LIFES Tech. Idk, get what one can while it's still rational. 

Prices are going up on everything. This past week a Delmonico steak cost me $30. Can't imagine what it would cost at a Restaurant.

In theory it seems like Luxman’s rendition of Hegel’s Sound Engine. Hopefully it’s done correctly.

What do you mean by this. Are you implying that Luxman is copying or imitating Hegel.

Oh no.  Luxman has become Accuphase.

Champagne gold vs silver

Warm, full, lush vs refined, delicate, detailed

Don't think so.

Any new info out of Axpona about Luxman plans going forward? New 507z integrated and M-10x power amps already announced or released.....anything more concrete on what will happen with the 509X (upgrading in future to 509Z ???) and when? Still true that class A integrateds being shelved?? Just wondering if anyone heard anything new at the show - TIA

I believe that the 509z is definitely in the pipeline.

I believe it was Mike at Suncoast Audio who said that Luxman was getting out of class A because of the environmental impact.

Crazy, can not afford this. The only "good" news is that the second hand price of our Lux amps will also explode and we might sell them more expensive than what we paid.

I listened to the 507Z at AXPONA last Friday, apparently the only one in existence.  The sound to my ears was a big improvement over their previous class A or AB integrated amps.  

Gone is the overtly smooth and forgiving presentation in favor of more clarity and transparency.  It was a big step that direction but not quite x ray resolution either.  Overall a very sweet, highly likeable sound.  

That would be a downgrade for my taste. The internals and external build actually don't even look as nice as prior models. I heard they are cutting costs where they can while raising the price.

Gone is the overtly smooth and forgiving presentation in favor of more clarity and transparency.

SO, gone is the reason I bought mine. 😁 @avanti1960 if you think this is an improvement, pray tell us what integrateds you have liked better because as some one who loves his Luxman you are doing the opposite of selling me on the new line.

I just saw the pics on the Luxman sight, the 507z looks the same on the inside.  Maybe the internal pic isn't updated?

avanti1960

04-27-2022 at 09:33pm971 posts

Gone is the overtly smooth and forgiving presentation in favor of more clarity and transparency.

May i ask which model of the Luxman sound overly smooth and forgiving? The L-590AXII which I currently own surely does not sound "overly smooth" or forgiving. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be sitting on the rack in my system now. Being a Class A, it’s slightly smoother than some Class AB amps but it’s still highly refined and detailed. That’s the trait which I appreciate in the Luxman. The sound is smooth but refined and detailed at the same time. It may sound contradictory but that’s my experience. Not many amps are capable of sounding smooth and refined/detailed at the same time. The micro-detail in the music are all present with the Luxman whereas they are smoothened or sound subdued with some amps. In other words, the sound lacks clarity with the smoothened detail although some people may prefer the warmer presentation.

Some amps sound less detailed with smoothened leading edge when they are compared to the Luxman. This observation or experience was also shared by Steve Huff when he compared the L-590AXII to the Pass Labs INT250 in his review / blog. The Pass was said to be smoother and the Luxman more refined and detailed.

Luxman is a fine amp. No complains about my 590 AXII, this a brand that is about quality and refinement.