New level of ridiculousness

$8,995 for a power strip???
Stick 8 off the shelf receptacles in a marble??? box, and there it is.
It is getting more and more ridiculous. As if manufacturers are now driven by a desire to extract as much $$$ from aaudiophiles with sufficient income, and not by a desire to advance the quality of their products.
I wonder...
maril555

Showing 11 responses by maril555

So, Mrtennis,
You do see value in this product, or you know somebody who does?
Interesting
Sorry, forgot to post the link:
http://www.aaudioimports.com/ShowProduct.asp?hProduct=225
It's called PowerSlave Marble
On a second thought, it's not all that expensive- just about $1000 per outlet. But imagine level of improvement compared to the price of your whole system. And don't forget an enjoyment one will obtain after installing this power strip in the system- that's just priceless
Maybe it came across as if I care how people spend their money.
Just let me be clear- I could have cared less.
What I do care about, is how the industry takes advantage of the psychology of the wealthy consumers at the expense of people with more realistic approach.
Some time ago I posted here, comparing a technology, R&D, materials, etc., involved in making two different products- a pair of speakers (Wilson Audio Alexandria, Magico Q7, insert other models here) and a Mercedes Benz S600- both priced at approximately $150,000.00
When you think about it, it becomes abundantly clear, how insanely overpriced our hobby is, and that includes the very components, that are in my own system. We all have gotten kind of desensitized to this fact, but an example of $8,995 power strip just seemed a little extreme even to me.
That was my point.
I know, I understand and, of course, I agree with you. I just thought, that much was implied in my original post.
Phaelon,
And the other point- I do get your statement about IWC Grande Complications showing exactly the same time as $20 Timex.
By analogy $150 000 MB S600 will get you from point A to point B the same, as 1998 Hyundai, but that's not the pont of owning one.
I drive $65000 BMW and I'm OK with splurging on it, but I'm certainly is not OK with spending $65K on say a pair of Wilson Maxx3.
I honestly think my $65 K get me much higher value, being spent on BMW.
Again, when I think about a stupid box with a few off the shelf drivers in it, compared to a technological tour de force, that my 2011 BMW 535 is, I'm having all kinds of seconds thoughts about our hobby.
It is all about a degree of a compromise, a person is willing to make with his/hers expenditures.
My initial post wasn't about an affordability of the $9K power strip at all. Of course, there are people who will be able to pay for it without any damage to their balance sheet.
It was about the value of this particular product, as well, as the value of other high priced audio toys.
Phaelon,
It's really pretty simple. Imagine a person with an annual income of $10,000,000.00, buying this power strip for $9K.
Is it affordable to him? Of course, it is. Does the fact of such purchase changes the value of the above strip? No, it doesn't, it's still overvalued, relative to the content offered.
That's the whole point- 8 outlets in a shiny marble box for $9,000.00 is overvalued no matter how you slice it, regardless of the affordability.