new laser/assembly for Cary 303/300 cdp

The laser is going south on my CDP giving me a lot of "no disc" messages. Just wondering can the laser or laser assembly be sourced a lot cheaper anywhere else but Cary?
128x128pehare

Showing 11 responses by pehare

thanks Nozz & Timrhu...I'm going to find the part & do it myself. Is it easy to replace the tray with your existing one so the drawer end matches the faceplate or am I way off here? Without taking it apart I can't tell. Thankfully the player still works with some effort reloading discs.
Many thanks Timrhu! I just snagged it. My cdp has played perfectly today (of course) but it's only a matter of time & this is a great find.
thanks Radni I think yours is the older 303/100 or 303/200. I was able to buy a used DVD player off ebay which has the exact part I needed thanks to Timrhu. Now that I have the part the player is doing fine so its a backup at this point.
I had the 303/100 years ago & it never gave me a bit of trouble & really liked it, enjoy!
The 303/300 uses the drive out of this as per Timrhu....

"The Apex AD-3201 is the model that uses the DSL-710A drive."

not sure about the 303/100 player...
FYI diy folks - outcome of the laser transplant out of the aforementioned Apex dvd player to the 303/300 is it plays fine but the drawer mechanism snags somewhere & hangs up leaving the drawer ajar about 1". The drawer can be closed w/a slight nudge but it isn't perfect. The drawers are almost identical but must not be readily interchangeable w/each other. The laser drive seems to be a little noisier than the original too. There were slight different physical differences which appeared to be cosmetic between units. The laser drive out of the Apex was dated 2001 which was probably 5 years older than my 303/300. But bottom line it works if you can live w/the drawer hanging up. I'll probably wind up ordering the exact replacement from Cary & swapping it out now that I have practice.
Thanks Tim! I'll give it a shot. BTW, I saw a Resolution Audio CD50 awhile back for I believe 550(which also has the volume control) & I was real tempted to jump on it. Are those fixable too?
yes! that's it Tim - a very good sounding player I'm told & w/the built in analog volume control it's tempting.
Just replaced the laser drive again today, 2 hr job but I'm slow.  Last replacement was done in 2015.  Cary charged me $311 delivered for the laser drive in 2015.  This one I bought NOS on ebay from Taiwan for $75 delivered.  Back in business!  If anybody needs help let me know....Cary no longer does on the phone tech support.....receptionist said you have to email inquiries for tech help....WTF?
Update, 1 day later the laser drive died after playing fine for 4 hrs the day of replacement.  Upon inspection of the replacement unit it felt lighter and was stamped "B" whereas the Cary unit was heavier and stamped "A" otherwise cosmetically similar.  Does anyone know what those blue ink stamps are on electronic parts.....A stock, B stock?  The replacement no longer spun the disc to read upon insertion of a disc.  Looks like I'll be getting another from Cary, lesson learned.