New KT150 tubes?

Has anyone any experience with these pretty new tubes. There are already one or 2 amps I know of, that use them. The review of one of these amps in a UK magazine suggested they were a little warmer and more natural sounding than the nearly new KT120's

The article also suggested they were a straight swap for KT120 based amps, with no adjustment necessary. They are more than twice the cost of KT120's, but still not too costly compared with NOS tubes. I know changing from KT88's or 90's to 120's. did require some amp modification. I have an ARC reference 75 and might want to try the new tubes at some point, ARC don't seem to have a customer E-mail service, to ask the question
david12

Showing 27 responses by hifigeek1

The feedback I'm getting is that the tube has a beautiful midrange so we shall see.
Regarding the KT-150. It is not known yet if this tube is a drop in replacement for the KT-120. I'm awaiting info from the ARC engineering dept. on this issue. The KT-150 puts out more power than the KT-120 which could mean it draws more heater current than the KT-120 does. When I get more info on this, I will share it here. Until that time, I would be very careful using this tube.
ARC are currently not using this tube nor have they sonically tested or life tested it as far as I know. They continue to use the KT-120 for those amps designed to use it.
ARC is in the process of testing this tube. They are in the process of life testing the tube as well as sonic evaluations. They have not come to any decisions as of today. When I hear something more I will post it to this thread..
As far as I know the KT-120 tube as well as the 6550we have a useful life of 2000 hrs.
Talked to ARC yesterday. Tubes are still in life test but apparently will be quite a bit more costly than the KT-120. Whether people will want them at the price they end up being, is difficult to say but KT-150's may not be cost effective.
Oooops my bad on the last post...disregard. Tsushimal they are technically compatible as far as I know at this point. ARC would not be life testing the tube if it wasn't. It remains to be seen what ARC says about the specs however.
Still life testing and it is unclear if ARC will even sell these tubes due to the cost of each tube. I was told the tube exhibits a superb midrange. When I hear something after CES, I will post it to the thread.
If those are indeed KT-150's (difficult to tell) in the Ref250's that would make perfect sense as that is part of the life testing process. If I talk to the factory next week, I will inquire about the KT-150 status and availability. Hopefully our government does not start embargoing products shipped from Russia....
If you go to ARC's new web site you will see what looks to be their new amp. It's not out yet however, and the curious thing is...it's using KT-150's. Surprise! They don't tell me anything. Are the KT-150's downward compatible you ask? No answer yet..
Haven't the foggiest idea. They normally don't post pics of products that are not available yet. The G series will be very expensive, that's for sure!
I have no idea.. I will have more info after next weekend after the hi-fi show in Newport.
I don't have an answer for you. I will have to differ to ARC and wait, but I am getting impatient. I will ask again next week.
I was at The Show in Newport Beach this weekend and walked into the Alon Speakers room hosted by their designer Carl Marchisotto. Low and behold he was running a ARC Ref 75 with KT150's in it. He said, and these were his words, the differences between the KT120's and the KT150's "were transformative." No other room at the show including ARC dealers, were running KT150's. I did not ask Carl where he got the KT150's from or if ARC was a co- sponsor of his room. The plot thickens.
Let me clarify, Alon in now Nola Speaker. KT-150's are still in life test with over 4,000 hrs on one set of tubes. This is good news. I'm sure they will be a drop in replacement for ARC amps that came from the factory with KT-120's. That being said, I'm still waiting for the ARC engineering dept. blessing. Hopefully it will be soon.
Just to be fair, I only recommend and use tubes from ARC. They are 'properly' matched and tested for at least 24 hrs at RATED VOLTAGES prior to being shipped. ARC products are too expensive to play Russian roulette with.
At this point I do not recommend using the SED6550 (winged C).
Before production stopped, (the factory burned down supposedly), these tubes became very problematic. I only use the 6550we at this point.
There are a quite a few ARC amps where the tubes will not clear the top cover. Be advised.