New in 2017

Which releases are you guys looking forward to in this new year?
jafant

Showing 6 responses by martykl

A new one from Fleetwood Mac is scheduled for this year.  First Mac studio album with Buckingham, Nicks, and Christine McVie since Tango In The Night (1987).
Bdp,

IIRC, Sheryl Crow opened for John Hiatt on the Pefectly Good Guitar tour. I saw the show at Irving Plaza in NYC. I, too, hadn’t heard of Crow and, when she took the stage, I laughed at this little lady who was barely visible behind a big dreadnought guitar. I wasn’t laughing after the first notes, tho - she was great. I was instantly a fan.

BTW, Hiatt tore the roof off the place that night. He’s always had great bands, but that one was almost a punk feeling group. I think the lead player was called Matt Ward and he was almost 180 degrees from Sonny Landreth (Hiatt’s awesomely talented sometimes lead guitar player). It was all sharp, angular barks vs Sonny’s slithery, winding honk.

That was one of the better rock n roll shows that I ever recall seeing.
BDP,

Actually,. I agree with you across the board - Bring the Family, Stolen Moments, and Slow Turning was an astounding triple header from  Hiatt.  PPG wasn't quite in the same league.  However....

That PPG tour was just a startling live show.  Still my favorite concert from Hiatt and, before that tour....

I'd already seen Hiatt many, many times.  During his earliest performing years, Hiatt used to play at The Bottom Line in NYC when I lived three blocks from the place.  I never missed a show.  These went all the way back to the Observatory and Slug Line years, when a John Hiatt show was often just JH and an acoustic guitar.

The Sonny Landreth bands may have been more skilled (and probably were more nuanced, as well), but that PPG band rocked like mad.  Relative quality of the material notwithstanding, that was my favorite John Hiatt concert.

I lived on 8th St between Broadway and Mercer. The Bottom Line was at 4th and Mercer. They usually has two shows a night, the latter was doors open at ten, music at +/-10:30. I was single and working in investment banking at the time and my work day frequently ended just in time for a 10:00 dinner. Five or six times a month, I’d just wander in to TBL to grab a burger and see whoever they trotted out that night.

I saw some amazing acts that I’d never heard of before seeing them live - first among them was John Hiatt.

BTW, I sold my place there in 2001 and TBL closed up shop within a couple of years.  Coincidence?
The Fleetwood Mac record is now a Buckingham/McVie record.  

No Stevie Nicks.  I'm think I'll prefer this line-up (and record) to one that included Nicks.  I do wonder if they'll tour behind this album and, if so, with what line-up and under what name.
New Feelies?  Wow - I am officially excited.  I thought they had hung it up, but....
Looks like they're sticking to their long-held regimen of one new release every five years.